FW: Bourbaki and foundations

Kreinovich, Vladik

May 23, 2022, 10:23:02 PM5/23/22
to construc...@googlegroups.com
An interesting constructive-related comment on the foundations of math mailing list

May 24, 2022, 6:39:06 AM5/24/22
to Kreinovich, Vladik, construc...@googlegroups.com
> This is not a criticism of Bishop (or anyone): I merely wish to point out that “just doing mathematics with intuitionistic logic” is unlikely to yield the edifice Bishop has produced: one has to step outside of that mindset and into a “more foundational” one, which is what Bishop seems to have done via Brouwerian counterexamples.

As we know, “just doing mathematics with intuitionistic logic” is seldom as simple as that. Each classical formula can have a range of non-equivalent constructive formulations, and we have to examine the possibilities and how they fit together - hours of fun, but it seems more than “just doing mathematics”.

However, when it comes to topology and analysis there’s a much deeper issue of formulation. One of the bigger messages from topos theory is it makes a huge difference if one approaches topology point-free instead of point-set. For example, Tychonoff and Heine-Borel become true. The basic reason for the improvement is really one of topology, not logic. Internally in sheaves over a space X, objects correspond to local homeomorphisms over X, whereas point-free spaces correspond to more more general bundles (maps to X). Thus to take the “set of points” (discrete coreflection) of a point-free space in the internal, intuitionistic logic, is to approximate a general bundle by a local homeomorphism, and this cannot always be done adequately.

A simple example is to take X to be Sierpinski $ and consider its closed point as a map 1 -> $. Its discrete coreflection, as local homeomorphism to $, is easily calculated to be that of the empty set, the initial sheaf.

In fact examples in sheaves over $ are common, and it seems to me they often play the role of Brouwerian counterexamples. Instead of considering some explicit unknown proposition, you just use the generic proposition in sheaves over $ and calculate there.

By the way, Palmgren in “A constructive and functorial embedding of locally compact metric spaces into locales” showed how Bishop’s apparently ad hoc point-set formulations correspond to more natural ones point-free.

All the best,

Steve.