Late invitation to first crossover summer school: constructive mathematics + quadratic form theory

Ingo Blechschmidt

Aug 12, 2022, 3:43:53 AM8/12/22
to construc...@googlegroups.com
Dear friends of constructive mathematics,

do you or your students have travel plans for September yet? I'd like to
draw your attention to the first crossover summer school merging
constructive mathematics and quadratic form theory:

ALGAR Summer School on constructive mathematics and quadratic form theory
September 5th to September 9th, 2022
Antwerp, Belgium
https://www.uantwerpen.be/en/summer-winter-schools/algar/

Besides the four courses by Sylvy Anscombe (Université de Paris),
Karim Johannes Becher (UAntwerpen), Jean-Pierre Tignol (UC Louvain) and
myself, there will be exercise sessions, room for general discussion,
a couple of research talks and a social program.

The target group comprises master and PhD students in pure mathematics.
More experienced mathematicians are also very welcome to participate; I
hope that we constructive mathematicians can learn from the quadratic
form folk and vice versa.

To give a zeroth approximation of what quadratic form theory is about, a
central question of quadratic form theory is whether a given integer can
be the value of a quadratic form. For instance, Fermat's theorem on sums
of two squares states that an odd prime p is expressible as p = x² + y²
if and only if p ≡ 1 (mod 4). Quadratic form theory contains many
results like this, and also abstract machinery to facilitate many proofs
and unlock current developments.

The theory of quadratic forms and central simple algebras over general
fields is based to a large extent on elementary arguments. Nevertheless,
many great theorems in this area are full of mysteries. Often they tell
us the existence of some representation for certain objects, but the
proof does not provide us with such a representation.

Hence the crossover summer school!

Feel free to approach me with any questions or comments you might have.
I'm looking forward to meeting you in Antwerp!

Cheers,
Ingo