FW: Some results about NF set theory

Kreinovich, Vladik

Aug 2, 2021, 4:21:44 PM8/2/21
to construc...@googlegroups.com, profb...@gmail.com

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Michael Beeson <profb...@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Aug 2, 2021 at 7:31 AM
Subject: Some results about NF set theory

Dear friends and colleagues,

I've completed my pandemic project about the Church numerals in

Quine's NF set theory,  and I've ensured that the proofs are correct

by formalizing them in the Lean proof-checker.  Therefore I can

state with high confidence that there are no errors in the papers

linked below (there could be typos, since the correspondence to the

formal proof is manually managed).

I proved that the set N of Church numbers is infinite,  using intuitionistic

NF set theory plus the "Church counting axiom"  (iterating Church successor

n times from 0  results in n).   That is a new result even with classical logic.

I could not prove it without the Church counting axiom,  so the original goal of

proving infinity in intuitionistic NF is still an open question.

There are two papers, linked below.

The first link contains the result about the Church

numbers;  it relies on the second for basic results about finite sets.  The

second link contains those results,  as well as constructive versions of

the theories of finite cardinals and arithmetic and T  from Rosser's book and

Specker's paper.