applications for the PhD position "Deep Reinforcement
Learning for Combinatorial Optimization"
share with anyone looking for a position!
Be a part of the newly-funded DFG project "Automatically
learning to solve optimization problems with deep
reinforcement learning: The quest for feasibility" with André
Hottung and me at Bielefeld University.
What we offer
- A 3 year, 100% "E13" PhD position (extremely well funded,
and includes travel money for conferences, PhD schools, etc.)
- Access to two different GPU clusters with 128 Nvidia A100
and 224 Nvidia V100 GPUs, respectively. (not to mention over
126,000 CPU cores...)
- Years of experience applying DRL to CO problems
- Structured PhD program (BiGSEM) providing interaction with a
large group of PhD students researching topics in operations
research, management, economics and data science.
- My research group's "default" language is English, no German
language knowledge is required for the position and you will
feel right at home here.
- Live right next to the famed Teutoburger forest
- Low living cost relative to other German cities (use your
salary for something fun, rather than paying for a
closet-sized apartment in Munich)
- Has a castle right in the middle of the city
- It actually exists. (if this makes no sense to you... well
don't worry, the "joke" will be explained to you a hundred
times by non-Bielefelders)
How to apply
applying, please take advantage of the cover letter to
highlight your experience using deep learning techniques
and, if you have OR experience, what kind of problems you
Prof. Dr. Kevin Tierney
Professor for Decision and Operation Technologies
Faculty of Business Administration and Economics
Tel: +49 (0)521 106-3940