SSN: Number of the Beast?

Jon Roland

Jun 2, 2015, 12:04:40 PM6/2/15
We must repeal §326 of the Patriot Act

The provisions of the USA Patriot Act that expired, as this is written, do not include §326, which has the effect of making every financial institution that operates in the U.S., or even beyond, enforcers of rules to provide an SSN. §326 of the Patriot Act does not do this explicitly. It only requires financial institutions "know" who their customers are, and require of them some kind of numerical identification. It does not say that has to be an SSN, but then the regulations state that the SSN shall be deemed in compliance with the Act, and that makes all the institutions demand it.

As important as it is to end excessive surveillance, §326 of the Patriot Act is far more important than the expired provisions. In a way, those provisions almost seem to be a distraction, drawing our attention from a far greater threat to our liberties.

The USA Freedom Act needs to be amended to repeal §326, then passed with some further amendments. That may be our last chance to avoid a slavery from which we will never emerge, something we are doing to ourselves which, if done to us by a foreign country, would be grounds for going to war against them. If we continue to do such things to ourselves, the terrorists will nave won.

You might send copies of this article to every member of Congress.

More on the subject at SSN: Number of the Beast? which is a work in progress so check back for additions as suggested by comments.
-- Jon

Constitution Society               http://constitution.org
13359 N Hwy 183 #406-144               twitter.com/lex_rex
Austin, TX 78750 512/299-5001  jon.r...@constitution.org