Out Now: Media Technologies for Work and Play in East Asia: Critical Perspectives on Japan and the Two Koreas, edited by Micky Lee and Peichi Chung

Micky Lee

Jun 2, 2021, 10:39:24 AM6/2/21
to console-i...@googlegroups.com

Media Technologies for Work and Play in East Asia: Critical Perspectives on Japan and the Two Koreas, is now out from Bristol University Press.

Media technologies for play have become major industries in Japan and South Korea. Even in North Korea, citizens bypass the state to enjoy popular culture. At the same time, corporations and governments encourage people to produce economic values through play.

The first comparative study of media technologies in Japan and the two Koreas, this book illuminates the peculiar geopolitical relations between the three countries through their development and use of digital technologies.

Anthony Y.H. Fung from Chinese University of Hong Kong said, “From the political economy of regulations to representation, identity and labour, this book embraces a multiplicity of perspectives on the digital economy. The authors deftly explain how new forms and practices of work and play drive social transformation and create new cultural landscapes in and beyond Asia.”

Drawing from political economy, cultural studies and technology studies, this book will be essential reading for researchers and students of media technologies and popular culture in Northeast Asia.

Order Media Technologies for Work and Play in East Asia: Critical Perspectives on Japan and the Two Koreas with 20% discount from Bristol University Press.

For review copies and press enquiries, contact: bahar....@bristol.ac.uk

Mel Stanfill

Jun 24, 2021, 5:11:55 PM6/24/21
to console-i...@googlegroups.com
We are pleased to announce that Console-ing Passions 2022 will be held at the University of Central Florida in Orlando this time next year: June 23-25th, 2022.  The Organizing Committee invites proposals for individual papers, pre-constituted panels, and pre-constituted roundtables that consider television, video, audio, or new media through an intersectional lens including gender, sexuality, race, and/or other systems of inequality. We also welcome proposals for video, audio, or new media creative works related to intersectional approaches to modes of identity.

This year’s theme is “Reinvention.” We see this theme as an opportunity for reflection on the influence of the pandemic on both media industries and our own media scholarship, but also as a call to consider the role of a feminist lens in pushing for reimaginings of our institutional structures and inequities. Submissions might also consider the ongoing process of “Reinvention” in the media landscape, from the ubiquitous reboots and revivals to the restructuring of industries.

As we return to in-person conferencing, we are cognizant of questions of access, equity, and impact associated with convening in physical space. To support this process of reflection and reimagining, CP Orlando will be a hybrid event, with opportunities for virtual participation.

See the CFP for more details: https://cp2022.cah.ucf.edu/call-for-proposals/ and follow updates on Twitter using #CPOrlando.

Mel Stanfill, PhD
Assistant Professor
Texts & Technology / English
University of Central Florida

Mel Stanfill

Sep 28, 2021, 10:22:39 AM9/28/21
to console-i...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

The deadline to submit to Console-ing Passions 2022 / #CPOrlando has been EXTENDED: PROPOSALS WILL NOW BE ACCEPTED THROUGH OCTOBER 15, 2021.

Console-ing Passions 2022 will be held at the University of Central Florida in Orlando June 23-25th, 2022.  The Organizing Committee invites proposals for individual papers, pre-constituted panels, and pre-constituted roundtables that consider television, video, audio, or new media through an intersectional lens including gender, sexuality, race, and/or other systems of inequality. We also welcome proposals for video, audio, or new media creative works related to intersectional approaches to modes of identity.

[...]

 Best,

Mel Stanfill, PhD
Associate Professor
Texts & Technology / English