CCK08 Cohort in Second Life

Fleep

Aug 19, 2008, 7:32:15 AM8/19/08
to connec...@googlegroups.com
Hello all!

As we get closer to the start of the Connectivism course, I wanted to invite anyone who is interested in exploring virtual worlds in education to participate in the Second Life Cohort of the Connectivism and Connective Knowledge course.   From the wiki we have set up at:
http://chilbo.wikispaces.com/Connectivism+Course+in+Chilbo

Second Life Cohort in Chilbo

Second Life Facilitator: Chris Collins (SL: Fleep Tuque) Email: fleep...@gmail.com

The Chilbo community in Second Life will host a cohort of the Connectivism course to explore the affordances of using a 3D immersive environment as an optional component of the curriculum. Participants will meet weekly for synchronous discussion in Second Life and will have the opportunity to create a home or office in the Chilbo community for the duration of the course. Due to space limitations, this cohort will be limited to approximately 50 participants.

Instructions to Participate in the Second Life Cohort

1. Create a Second Life account, download and install the software, and complete the self-paced Orientation process to learn basic navigation skills.
2. Complete the short sign up form to join the Connectivism Second Life Cohort.
3. In Second Life, teleport to Chilbo to begin exploring the environment before the course begins (see below).

Connectivism Village in Chilbo

Weekly discussions will be held in the Shrubbery Amphitheatre & Park in Chilbo, though other areas of the community have resources that may be of interest to participants. The Connectivism Village will provide a "neighborhood" and sandbox area for participants in the course. Please note that the Chilbo community is holding a summer fair through August 31, 2008 in the area where the Connectivism Village will be constructed - if you visit early, enjoy the fairgrounds!

Shrubbery Amphitheatre & Park: http://slurl.com/secondlife/Chilbo/167/129/109

Connectivism Village: http://slurl.com/secondlife/Madhupak/24/81/65

Chilbo Town Hall: http://slurl.com/secondlife/Chilbo/112/230/121

Additional Second Life Resources

If you are new to Second Life, the following resources might be helpful to you as to acclimate yourself to the environment and consider its usefulness as a tool for teaching and learning.

Second Life Video Tutorials - Created by Linden Lab, these short videos cover the basic interface controls for using Second Life

Keyboard Shortcuts in Second Life - This handy print out has a list of keyboard shortcuts to make your Second Life easier.

Educational Uses of Second Life - This is an overview of some of ways Second Life can be used, and in some cases, has been used for educational purposes.

Please let me know if you have any questions or need assistance, and I look forward to meeting many of you in Second Life!

Best wishes,

- Chris/Fleep

Chris M. Collins (SL: Fleep Tuque)
University of Cincinnati Second Life Learning Community
Second Life Ambassador, Ohio Learning Network
Co-Chair, Second Life Education Community Conference 2008
UCit Instructional & Research Computing
University of Cincinnati
303G Zimmer Hall
PO Box 210088
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0088
(513)556-3018
chris....@uc.edu
fleep...@gmail.com

UC Second Life:  http://homepages.uc.edu/secondlife
OLN Second Life: http://www.oln.org/emerging_technologies/emtech.php
SLEDcc 2008:  http://sledcc.wikispaces.com

George Siemens

Aug 20, 2008, 2:46:17 PM8/20/08
to connec...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris - great to see this developing! I've posted info on the course blog and will send out to the email list this afternoon. Now, to go and sign up...

George

Red

Aug 21, 2008, 7:56:40 AM8/21/08
to Connectivism and Connective Knowledge
Hi Fleep,

Can you give us an idea of the day and time the synchronous discussion
would be held each week? I am very interested in joining the group,
but I can't access Second Life outside of my normal working hours.

Thanks

Louise/Blanche Maynard (SL)

On Aug 19, 7:32 am, Fleep <fleep...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> controls for using Second Life
>
> *Keyboard Shortcuts in Second
> Life<http://hippasus.com/resources/secondlife/SL_Keyboard_Shortcuts.pdf>
> * - This handy print out has a list of keyboard shortcuts to make your
> Second Life easier.
>
> *Educational Uses of Second
> Life<http://sleducation.wikispaces.com/educationaluses>-
> * This is an overview of some of ways Second Life can be used, and in some
> cases, has been used for educational purposes.
>
> Please let me know if you have any questions or need assistance, and I look
> forward to meeting many of you in Second Life!
>
> Best wishes,
>
> - Chris/Fleep
>
> Chris M. Collins (SL: Fleep Tuque)
> University of Cincinnati Second Life Learning Community
> Second Life Ambassador, Ohio Learning Network
> Co-Chair, Second Life Education Community Conference 2008

Fleep

Aug 21, 2008, 9:57:59 AM8/21/08
to connec...@googlegroups.com
Hi Louise,

I'll probably close the registration for the Second Life cohort down today since I was shooting for about 50 people in the group and as of this moment it stands at..  90!!

With such a large group, we may end up scheduling more than one weekly synchronous discussion time to accommodate the different time zones.  We'll poll the group as soon as the registration closes to pick the days of the week and the hour, so if you sign up, you'll be included in that message to indicate your preference.

Thanks so much and hope to meet you in world!

All the best,

- Chris/Fleep

Chris M. Collins (SL: Fleep Tuque)
University of Cincinnati Second Life Learning Community
Second Life Ambassador, Ohio Learning Network
Co-Chair, Second Life Education Community Conference 2008
UCit Instructional & Research Computing
University of Cincinnati
303G Zimmer Hall
PO Box 210088
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0088
(513)556-3018

DolorsCapdet

Aug 21, 2008, 1:17:05 PM8/21/08
to Connectivism and Connective Knowledge
Hi Chris, Fleep,

Since Connectivitas, we welcome his initiative.

As you know, our community of practice has created a specific site to
study the effects of Connectivism on society of Spanish-speaking
countries.

Our site (http://tinyurl.com/6ey25m), hosted in Second Life Spain,
initially, like that of Chilbo, has a maximum capacity of 40-50
people, depending on the Prims used.

However, Connectivitas has already exceeded our initial projections-we
have over-70 members, so we sought a new option that allows us to
accommodate up to 230 people at the same time and that is fully
operational in the second half of September.

Meanwhile, the debate on Connectivism, which began in early August,
takes place in our grou.ps (http://grou.ps/connectivitas/home) and is
particularly active. We also have a page in public Pagefalkes (http://
www.pageflakes.com/connectivitas/23618668).

Undoubtedly, we will try to share its experience in Chilbo and learn
from it. We, of course, we offer you and any other interested person
the opportunity to share activities generated by Connectivitas.

Best regards,

Dolors
http://dolorscapdet.blogspot.com/

On 21 Ago, 15:57, Fleep <fleep...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Louise,
>
> I'll probably close the registration for the Second Life cohort down today
> since I was shooting for about 50 people in the group and as of this moment
> it stands at.. 90!!
>
> With such a large group, we may end up scheduling more than one weekly
> synchronous discussion time to accommodate the different time zones. We'll
> poll the group as soon as the registration closes to pick the days of the
> week and the hour, so if you sign up, you'll be included in that message to
> indicate your preference.
>
> <http://chilbo.wikispaces.com/ConnectivismSLSignUp>Thanks so much and hope
> to meet you in world!
>
> All the best,
>
> - Chris/Fleep
>
> Chris M. Collins (SL: Fleep Tuque)
> University of Cincinnati Second Life Learning Community
> Second Life Ambassador, Ohio Learning Network
> Co-Chair, Second Life Education Community Conference 2008
> UCit Instructional & Research Computing
> University of Cincinnati
> 303G Zimmer Hall
> PO Box 210088
> Cincinnati, OH 45221-0088
> (513)556-3018

Fleep

Aug 21, 2008, 2:45:07 PM8/21/08
to connec...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

To everyone who signed up for the CCK08SL - Second Life Cohort in Chilbo, you should have received two invitations to the initial email address you provided:

- An invitation to a separate googlegroup for our discussions specific to the SL Cohort in Chilbo
- An invitation in Second Life for your avatar to join the Chilbo Community Building Project group

If you did NOT receive these invitations or have any difficulty getting into these two groups, please email me offlist to fleep...@gmail.com.  Otherwise, I expect we'll use those communication channels for specific conversations moving forward and save the broader Connectivism group from our self-organizing discussions.  :)

Thanks again to everyone who signed up, I am looking forward to the experience!

Warmest regards,

- Chris/Fleep

Chris M. Collins (SL: Fleep Tuque)
University of Cincinnati Second Life Learning Community
Second Life Ambassador, Ohio Learning Network
Co-Chair, Second Life Education Community Conference 2008
UCit Instructional & Research Computing
University of Cincinnati
303G Zimmer Hall
PO Box 210088
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0088
(513)556-3018

Fleep

Aug 21, 2008, 2:47:13 PM8/21/08
to connec...@googlegroups.com
Hola Dolors!

Thanks for the links!  I'll take a look at these resources this evening and I hope we'll have opportunities to share and collaborate with one another - plus it will give me an excuse to practice my very rusty spanish!

All the best,

- Chris/Fleep

technogenii

Sep 9, 2008, 2:49:54 AM9/9/08
to Connectivism and Connective Knowledge
I'm told the group has been shut down... is this normal?

Stephen Downes

Sep 9, 2008, 6:24:07 AM9/9/08
to connec...@googlegroups.com
Hiya,