My Personal Brain

Steve Mackenzie

Aug 14, 2008, 12:19:14 PM8/14/08
to Connectivism and Connective Knowledge
Hi George and All,

George cannot remember the context that you linked us to one of your
brains :-), but i subsequently downloaded the software and have been
using it ever since. Absolutely awesome piece of software, thanks for
opening up a new horizon. I thoroughly recommend it to the group.

just like the beautiful patterns that can be derived from chaos theory
- i find this software beautiful

to the group - i say go get yourself a Brain :-)

http://www.thebrain.com/

George Siemens

Aug 14, 2008, 2:06:20 PM8/14/08
to connec...@googlegroups.com
Hi Steve - yes, I find it to be one of the best tools I've come across that reflects the networked nature of concepts. I use it to summarize books, summarize research papers, take notes at conferences/meetings, etc.

The tool currently lacks needed functionality - such as direct tagging of resources via a browser (i.e. delicious tags)...and the ability to share in collaborative form (I think the enterprise edition permits this, however).

An online example of the Brain: http://elearnspace.org/media/Madison/index.html

Nice to see tools emerging that reflect how we explore and shape ideas/concepts.

George

Ton Zijlstra

Aug 15, 2008, 3:23:16 AM8/15/08
to connec...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I have used the Brain years ago, basically as my desktop on my PC. In the end I threw it out. Because it wasn't (then at least, this is some 5 to 6 years back) a cloud structure in the end, which I was looking for, but more of a cloud like presentation of basically a hierarchical structure. It is the same issue I have with mindmaps. In the end I find them too hierarchical. Also I found it hard to share/export stuff with colleagues, so too little flow. But still, the beauty and style of the Brain has always appealed to me.

Another programme I have seen others use with success is Tinderbox, only on Mac. I haven't used it myself yet, but what I like from what I've seen is that it can be layered (as well as being cloud like). A complete 'map' can be inside an element of another level of the map, allowing you to zoom in and out.

For myself I currently use a personal wiki as a starting point for my note-taking cloud, that also allows me to integrate Freemind mindmaps as well. Not as visual as I would like, but more flow than I had from the Brain.

best,
Ton
Interdependent Thoughts
Ton Zijlstra

t...@tonzijlstra.eu
+31-6-34489360

http://zylstra.org/blog

Steve Mackenzie

Aug 15, 2008, 4:51:05 AM8/15/08
to Connectivism and Connective Knowledge
George and Ton,

I am using it for project management purposes at the moment and very
much like a desktop for my PC. I look forward to trying it out in
other ways like yourself George. I particularly like the easy way to
create multiple childs and the quick text based note area.

It's early days for me but, we'll have to see what obstacles i come up
against as i move on. Not had to export too much data, but there is
the sharing in web format which is easy enough. I suppose i am
unwittingly veering towards a strategy for storing some info outside
the Brain, but just linking to it i.e. outlook contact, link to from a
child with the contact name, straight into an email or use of google
calendar and linking to that.

Ton, just on perceptions - I've never perceived it is a cloud
structure - just connections, but it's the ability to shrink, expand
and accommodate the network with the scroll of a mouse that appeals
strongly

Steve

mweisburgh

Aug 25, 2008, 2:34:26 PM8/25/08
to Connectivism and Connective Knowledge
If you're interested in other software, I happen to use Inspiration
Software, www.inspiration.com. I have no other connection to the
company, just love the software.