A call out to health professionals

Sarah Stewart

Aug 20, 2008, 3:20:36 PM8/20/08
to connec...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone

My name is Sarah Stewart and I am a midwife and midwifery educator in New Zealand. I would love to hook up with any other health professionals doing the course - maybe we could start our own small support group.

Thanks a lot

--
Sarah Stewart
http://sarah-stewart.blogspot.com

Martin, Oslo

Sep 22, 2008, 4:28:09 AM9/22/08
to Connectivism and Connective Knowledge
Hi Sarah

I´m a norwegian doctor working part-time with nurse education and
development of internet based courses. Please gmail me if you´re still
interested in hooking up with other health professionals!

On 20 Aug, 21:20, "Sarah Stewart" <sarahstewar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> My name is Sarah Stewart and I am a midwife and midwifery educator in New
> Zealand. I would love to hook up with any other health professionals doing
> the course - maybe we could start our own small support group.
>
> Thanks a lot
>
> --
> Sarah Stewarthttp://sarah-stewart.blogspot.com
> Skype: sarah.m.stewart
> Twitter: SarahStewart

Ruth Demitroff

Sep 22, 2008, 3:04:04 PM9/22/08
to connec...@googlegroups.com

I was reading Sarah Stewart's blog and she mentions a topic dear to my heart - staying connected when one is no longer actively working in a field.  In any community, there are large numbers of people trained in the health care professions who are no longer practicing.  If the anticipated pandemics do occur, is there any plan (or is it even feasible) to get those people up and running through a massive internet training program to deal with a specific global health care crisis?

Sarah Stewart

Sep 22, 2008, 8:07:33 PM9/22/08
to Connectivism and Connective Knowledge
Hi Martin, great to hear from you. Would be happy to continue a
conversation about connectivism and how it relates to education of
health professionals. cheers Sarah

Sarah Stewart

Sep 22, 2008, 8:09:00 PM9/22/08
to Connectivism and Connective Knowledge
Hello Ruth

I seem to remember some sort of discussion about this on another forum
but can't remember where at the moment. I'll get back to you if I
remeber. Is there anything to be found relating to this topic at the
WHO web site? best wishes Sarah

Martin, Oslo

Sep 23, 2008, 5:37:06 PM9/23/08
to Connectivism and Connective Knowledge
Sarah and I have sent some e-mail around the globe the last days. I´m
posting some of it here, to possibly attract the attention of some
other health professionals or others interested in health topics..

1) Personally, I would really appreciate a web 2.0 environment to
discuss case stories, if I´m stuck with a case it would be great not
just to have access to my consultant, but also to a community of other
doctors around the globe to help me get the right diagnosis and
treatment if I post some video, text and reflection around the case.
This same community would be excellent for learning. Sarah points out
that health consumers also can join and give very valuable
perspectives in these discussions with reference to http://shannonstale.blogspot.com/
How open should/could these teaching/learning/consulting environments
be? What do you in this group think?

2 ) Ruth : In a rapid response to a global health crisis I think
internet learning programs could be of immense value. But is
information the bottleneck in such a case? And how much of a health
care profession can be learnt through the internet?

Ruth Demitroff

Sep 23, 2008, 10:31:55 PM9/23/08
to connec...@googlegroups.com
When SARS hit Toronto, I thought of the young nurses - new grads, single moms, pregnant nurses, nurses with young children.  Afterwards I think legislation was passed saying that medical people couldn't quit their jobs in a pandemic.  It's too bad that there isn't a quick way to refresh skills so an older former nurse could volunteer to replace a young nurse.  I suppose men feel the same way when they see the young going off to war.  It seems a shame that it's always those who have so much to give to the future who are ordered to risk paying the ultimate sacrifice.