Welding

John McNamara

May 2, 2020, 8:11:44 PM5/2/20
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
If you have a welder or are interested in design prototyping components that will be made from metal by others.
Check out the welding distortion investigation at the engineers finding site in 4 parts if you have not already watched it.
It will require two cups of coffee then a couple of hours to think on it. it will change the way you work with welded parts.

Laser cut tab and slot designs will particularly benefit if you relieve the slots. behind the weld interface to counteract the shrinkage. I am reworking a design right now. it was the distortion near edges Alex demonstrated that really triggered my thinking.

Regards
John
--
John McNamara