Connecting Arduino Uno or Leonardo to ESP8266-01 WiFi Module

Jeffrey Goh

Oct 12, 2019, 4:50:15 AM10/12/19
to Connected Community HackerSpace
Hi guys,

I'm looking for help on how me and my team can connect the Wifi Module to an Arduino. We have tried multiple different methods mentioned online and in tutorials but it doesn't seem to work.

We are attempting to wire it from an Arduino to a breadboard to the Wifi Module but it is not working.

Attached is a picture detailing the logs that we get related to the errors returned when we try to connect the Wifi Module.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
72035984_524692251682103_7368540532621967360_n.png

Toby Corkindale

Oct 13, 2019, 9:09:02 AM10/13/19
to Hackerspace Melbourne
Maybe give a little more information about how you're trying to connect to the ESP8266?
Do you mean from the Arduino to the ESP8266, or is this at the point when you're flashing the ESP over USB from your PC?

Since you mentioned esptool.py, I'm inclined to think the latter case. If so, check that you have any required USB drivers installed on your PC. I've only ever flashed ESPs from MacOS and Linux, so am not too sure about what issues you might face on Windows.

Andy Gelme

Oct 14, 2019, 1:36:15 AM10/14/19
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
hi Jeffrey,
If you aren't completely tied to your current design / implementation
solution ...

You might consider replacing the Arduino and ESP8266 micro-controllers
entirely with an ESP32.

- Removes the need to interconnect two different micro-controllers
- Removes the need to support two different micro-controller tool-chains
- Only need to power, configure and deal with a single micro-controller
and PCB
- ESP32 can be programmed using the Arduino IDE as just another
supported "board"
- Most common Arduino software libraries are supported on the ESP32
- Good chance that your existing Ardino software can run on the ESP32
(with little or no change)

- Mostly likely a cheaper hardware platform than what you now have
- Specially intended for modern wireless, embedded applications
- Considerably more GPIOs and other useful hardware peripherals
- More powerful dual 32-bit micro-controller with considerably more
Flash and RAM
- Has sufficient RAM and processing power to deliver secure (encrypted)
wireless communications
- Can switch to using FreeRTOS operating system (instead of Arduino
framework) in the future
- Can switch to using microPython, which is also a great fast-turnaround
prototyping environment

Integrating Wi-Fi functionality on the ESP32 will be a matter of using
the correct software library, instead of hooking together two
micro-controllers (at both the hardware and software level) ...

-
https://techtutorialsx.com/2017/06/29/esp32-arduino-getting-started-with-wifi
- https://github.com/espressif/arduino-esp32/tree/master/libraries/WiFi

And the CCHS is very fortunate to have two monthly ESP32 meetings with
very capable and very friendly attendees ...

- Second Wednesday of the month: Mair hosts an ESP32 IDF (C / C++,
FreeRTOS) tutorial session
- Fourth Wednesday of the month: Matt, Damien and Nick host a
microPython session that supports the pyboard, ESP32 and more

Whilst it is a very tough decision to jump ship from something you have
in your hand and are comfortable with (apart from your interconnection
issues), but if you have the time to do-it-right and lay down a solution
that is more future-proof ... I'd say go-for-it.

cheers andyg

Jeffrey Goh

Oct 19, 2019, 2:48:51 AM10/19/19
to Connected Community HackerSpace
Hello everyone, it's me again.

I've posted a subreddit post on r/Arduino about the project that we are creating and the current requirements and issues we have with our project.

We're hoping that we could get some help on this issue:

Matt Trentini

Oct 21, 2019, 12:42:46 AM10/21/19
to Connected Community HackerSpace
Hi Jeffrey,

Reddit can be a tough crowd. ;)

As Andy has mentioned we run a MicroPython Meetup every month - it so happens that it's this Wednesday, the 23rd. If you're able to come along I'll try and help you out.

I should probably warn you that yes, I am likely to try to convince you that using an ESP32 running MicroPython is almost certainly a better solution to your problem!

Cheers,
Matt