Covid Face Shields

Andy Hawkins

Apr 2, 2020, 8:17:20 PM4/2/20
to Connected Community HackerSpace
Hi from a makerspace in the UK, this is a weird one....

I'm working with Doctors over here on Faceshield designs for emergency departments, I'm sure you know of the shortages everywhere and have probably seen a few.
I've an old friend that now works in emergency in Melbourne and he'd like to try out a couple, I'd also like his opinion.
Obviously posting them back and forth isn't really an option.

So I'm looking for some people to make him a couple of designs and wondered if you knew of any groups in the city involved with that, or willing to help a doctor in need please.

Many thanks

Andy

Trystan -Crenn- Jones

Apr 2, 2020, 8:44:23 PM4/2/20
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andy,

Not weird at all during these times. There has been quite a bit of interest on Twitter that I've seen for this, and I'm certainly willing to help. What sort of requirements (material, disinfectant, etc) is he looking for?

Kindest regards,
Trystan Jones

Peter Dowles

Apr 2, 2020, 9:03:25 PM4/2/20
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guys,

I have a Prusa mk2 at home and am happy to print anything that fits on the bed.

I’m no good in the design department but If you can shoot me through a design I’m happy to kick it off and get it to wherever it needs to go.

I’m guessing we will need the laser cutter for the clear front mask?

Pete

Stuart Young

Apr 2, 2020, 9:34:29 PM4/2/20
to CCHS
HI Andy,

There's a few people within our group already working faceshields (and other things) too. I'll poke them to respond directly, as I'd not want to get anything wrong or misrepresent them in any way.

On Fri, 3 Apr 2020 at 11:17, Andy Hawkins <beard...@gmail.com> wrote:

Stuart Young (aka Cefiar)

Roboticist Mark

Apr 2, 2020, 9:41:37 PM4/2/20
to Connected Community HackerSpace
Hi Andy,

this is perfect, as we are currently doing the same with some of my contacts here, please supply your doctor with my details and we can contact them direct and supply samples

we have a slack channel where we are currently discussing options for designs etc.

Cheers,

Mark

Jai

Apr 3, 2020, 2:31:27 AM4/3/20
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
Might be worth getting in touch with Fab9, I know they were working on a similar project

On Fri, 3 Apr 2020 at 11:17, Andy Hawkins <beard...@gmail.com> wrote:

John McNamara

Apr 13, 2020, 11:24:00 AM4/13/20
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I have been thinking on designing a face shield and believe that a laser cutter alone may be a better solution due to the greatly increased speed of production.

I know that ABS is a not suitable for laser cutting due to the fumes produced. Is there a flexible 1.6mm approx firm but flexible plastic sheet available that would be a good substitute? The clear face shield plastic also needs to be sourced. One way to cut this would be using a waterjet. cutter. Using a waterjet you can stack parts say 50mm high that's about 60 sheets of 0.8mm plastic at a time the cost per part will be low. There is normally a sacrificial sheet top and bottom as well.

Any thoughts welcome

Regards
John

--