Enhanced connectbot keyboard

Greg Alexander

Jul 10, 2013, 9:00:27 AM7/10/13
to connectb...@googlegroups.com
Hi -

Hope this is the right mailing list. :)

Thanks for all of your work on connectbot, I use it every day.  On my devices, I have no d-pad (arrow keys), and also the "ctrl" and "esc" icons are a little hard to hit because they are small on high-res screens.  So I made a few changes:
  * ctrl/esc are big text buttons now
  * added left/right/up/down buttons (and tab while I was at it, though it isn't really necessary)
  * after you tap one you might want to repeat (esc/tab/left/right/up/down), the keyboard remains visible for 1.5s after that instead of disappearing immediately

A screenshot is at http://galexander.org/pics/connectbot-newkbd.png and my patches are in the andlingers-softkeys branch on google code.

I'm open to feedback.  I tried to do my best to do it in a simple style that will work everywhere but I'm still a little new to android development.

Thanks!
- Greg

Jeff

Jul 12, 2013, 5:23:26 PM7/12/13
to connectb...@googlegroups.com
This is a great enhancement.   It would be great to have an option to make the "Connectbot" banner go away once you bring up the buttons.   Example - If you run 'vi', and want to use the pop-up keys, then the top two/three lines are covered by the banner.  Other than that it looks/works really great.

Greg Alexander

Jul 14, 2013, 9:42:26 AM7/14/13
to connectb...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the feedback. I agree. I changed it so that the action bar on the top of the screen disappears 1.5s after it first appeared, even if the user is tapping arrow keys or something that causes the keyboard to remain. I pushed that change to the andlingers-softkeys branch.

I also made it so the buttons are all equal width. It is based on the font width so hopefully it will not be a disaster on smaller screens...

Thanks,
- Greg

Lead Tech

Jul 21, 2013, 3:26:21 PM7/21/13
to connectb...@googlegroups.com
They have an Android app called 'The Hacker's Keyboard" it modifies your system keyboard to include everything a real language keyboard should have.

Peter Adams

Jul 24, 2013, 4:12:12 AM7/24/13
to connectb...@googlegroups.com
I always found Hacker's Keyboard to be crucial for using Connectbot.