The conda community forum has arrived; this mailing list is departing.

Dave Clements

Dec 1, 2022, 1:18:34 PM12/1/22
to conda-forge mailing list

Hello all,

We are pleased to announce the conda Community Forum, an online forum for questions, answers, news, and discussion about the conda ecosystem, including conda-forge.

We expect that this site to become the "go to" place for people with questions about conda-forge, conda, and other parts of the conda ecosystem.

The forum is organized in several broad categories, each with a different focus:

  • Package Builders

  • Users

    • Questions, answers and discussion about how to use the conda ecosystem to manage software packages, and run time environments.

  • Contributors

    • Conda ecosystem development and infrastructure.

  • News

    • Items of interest to the conda community.

  • Site

    • Rules, policies, questions, answers, and discussion about this site.

Anyone can read posts on the forum.  You will need to create a login to start and add to discussions.  Anyone can create a login, and we strongly encourage you to sign up today.

The conda-forge mailing list is departing:

We are planning to archive this list at the end of 2022.  Until then you will still be able to post here. However, we encourage you to start posting in the forum starting today.

Why?

The conda...@googlegroups.com mailing list has been around for over 7 years, and has over 100 members.  However, engagement on this list (and on mailing lists in general - not just the conda-forge list) has been in decline for many years.  People now generally prefer chat or forum interfaces for Q&A.

This is one of the reasons for creating the conda Community Forum. We hope the forum will be far more engaging and active than the mailing list has been recently.  We are archiving this mailing list as part of a larger effort to give the conda Community a small set of obvious places to visit when they have questions.  We also plan to launch a few more places In the coming months:

These will be announced on the conda Community Forum when they are launched.

Thanks to everyone who helped get the forum ready. And thanks in advance to the entire community for posting your questions, answers, news items, discussions and upvotes there. We look forward to having the site become a vital knowledge base for the community.

Thanks,

Dave Clements

--

Dave Clements