machinekit.io to use concurrencykit

Michael Haberler

Aug 7, 2015, 11:57:44 AM8/7/15
to Concurrency Kit, Charles Steinkuehler, Mick Grant, John Morris
Hi,

this is just to let you know that the http://www.machinekit.io project - a fork of LinuxCNC - is going to use concurrencykit.

the effort is to make its HAL hardware abstraction and device interaction layer SMP-safe, which it currently is not.

For now we'll likely use mostly the atomics, barrier and CAS primitives. Target platforms: wheezy moving to jessie, using  x86, amd64 and arm7+,  others possible.

Q: we would like to use debian packages if possible. I see 0.3.5-1 in stable and 0.4.4-1 in testing. For the usage of primitives as described above - any major changes since 0.3.5-1 which should make use prefer 0.4.4-1 over the former?

best regards, and thanks for the great work,

- Michael

Samy Al Bahra

Aug 8, 2015, 2:20:02 PM8/8/15
to concurr...@googlegroups.com, Charles Steinkuehler, Mick Grant, John Morris
Hi all,

Terrific to hear, and we're here to help. Definitely a lot of major
improvements since 0.3.5, if you have to go with their versions then I
recommend >= 0.4.4 for sure. However, master right now which includes
a whole bunch of improvements, type-safe(r) ck_pr load/store and more
(assignment semantics). I was deferring next major release until the
ck_ht replacement is ready, however, how about we go ahead and address
any issues you run into in master and then release according to those
changes? We'll push out ck_hm (the ck_ht) replacement for a later
release as at least my schedule is permitting me the time to work on
that.
> --

Samy Al Bahra [http://repnop.org]

Samy Al Bahra

Aug 8, 2015, 2:20:45 PM8/8/15
On Sat, Aug 8, 2015 at 2:20 PM, Samy Al Bahra <sba...@repnop.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Terrific to hear, and we're here to help. Definitely a lot of major
> improvements since 0.3.5, if you have to go with their versions then I
> recommend >= 0.4.4 for sure. However, master right now which includes

"However, " + I highly recommend + "master ...