Can you recommend me Markdown tools for Java/Windows10 stack?

15 views
Skip to first unread message

George Petrov

unread,
Aug 21, 2019, 11:08:19 AM8/21/19
to concordion
I was not satisfied with my initial Proof of Concept experimenting with Concordion/Markdown/Java on Windows so I decided to start my new project with Concordion/HTML/Java
I see some friction in dealing with HTML tests so I am asking about your Markdown related recommendations - I still may revert to using Markdown.

1. My preferred IDE is Intellij Idea Community Edition with second choice Netbeans 8.2 and third Eclipse. I use Windows 10 for developing and running.
Can someone recommend me IDE/plugin/tool combination for developing Concordion tests with Markdown?

2. Also please recommend me a free tool (reader/viewer) to be used by me and other QAs and BAs to read the test results in Markdown format.

3. Is it possible from Markdown tests to get HTML test reports and does it make sense?

I am planning to have results hosted on a VM with Tomcat JSPs providing a page with list of runs with links - so other can see results in a browser.

Thanks,
George

George Petrov

unread,
Aug 22, 2019, 5:03:13 AM8/22/19
to concordion
I am already aware that Markdown tests produce HTML output (Thanks to direct message from group member).
I somehow got the wrong impression that since HTML test has HTML output, Markdown test will have Markdown output and Excel test will have Excel output.
So point 2. will be for reading and writing the tests.
   What I got now is VSCode.
   Will try also Miscrosoft Word since it is in my disposal.
   I do not have Atom on my work PC due to security limitations on new software installs.
And for 3. answer is Yes and Yes.

Nigel Charman

unread,
Aug 23, 2019, 5:50:11 AM8/23/19
to conco...@googlegroups.com
Hi

1. The Concordion and Markdown plugins mentioned at https://concordion.org/integrations/java/markdown/#intellij-idea provide a good combination.
2. Do you use Github or similar for version control? They have WYSIWYG editors integrated with version control that should make it easy for your QAs and BAs to write specs in Markdown. Obviously, with the output being HTML you can read in any browser.

Hope that helps,
Nigel
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "concordion" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to concordion+...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/concordion/30e920d7-340b-4563-b386-3c9b4e818a7e%40googlegroups.com.

George Petrov

unread,
Aug 26, 2019, 7:42:18 AM8/26/19
to concordion
Thank you for your answer.


On Friday, August 23, 2019 at 12:50:11 PM UTC+3, Nigel Charman wrote:
Hi

1. The Concordion and Markdown plugins mentioned at https://concordion.org/integrations/java/markdown/#intellij-idea provide a good combination.
Adding the Concordion plugin makes for a lot more pleasant work in Intellij Idea. Markdown was already present for the many README.md files nowadays.

2. Do you use Github or similar for version control? They have WYSIWYG editors integrated with version control that should make it easy for your QAs and BAs to write specs in Markdown. Obviously, with the output being HTML you can read in any browser.
I have the code in github Enterprise so will use this hint to send link to the specifications in the online repo.
 
Hope that helps,
Nigel

Sure it helped,
Thanks again,
George
 

On 22/08/19 9:03 PM, George Petrov wrote:
I am already aware that Markdown tests produce HTML output (Thanks to direct message from group member).
I somehow got the wrong impression that since HTML test has HTML output, Markdown test will have Markdown output and Excel test will have Excel output.
So point 2. will be for reading and writing the tests.
   What I got now is VSCode.
   Will try also Miscrosoft Word since it is in my disposal.
   I do not have Atom on my work PC due to security limitations on new software installs.
And for 3. answer is Yes and Yes.


On Wednesday, August 21, 2019 at 6:08:19 PM UTC+3, George Petrov wrote:
I was not satisfied with my initial Proof of Concept experimenting with Concordion/Markdown/Java on Windows so I decided to start my new project with Concordion/HTML/Java
I see some friction in dealing with HTML tests so I am asking about your Markdown related recommendations - I still may revert to using Markdown.

1. My preferred IDE is Intellij Idea Community Edition with second choice Netbeans 8.2 and third Eclipse. I use Windows 10 for developing and running.
Can someone recommend me IDE/plugin/tool combination for developing Concordion tests with Markdown?

2. Also please recommend me a free tool (reader/viewer) to be used by me and other QAs and BAs to read the test results in Markdown format.

3. Is it possible from Markdown tests to get HTML test reports and does it make sense?

I am planning to have results hosted on a VM with Tomcat JSPs providing a page with list of runs with links - so other can see results in a browser.

Thanks,
George
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "concordion" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to conco...@googlegroups.com.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages