Kodak Double-x

Maryanna Vernia

Jul 26, 2024, 2:29:39 AM (yesterday) Jul 26
to Concerto Digital Signage

i use an old sekonic incident meter. meter for the subject - add the ISO and shutter speed, and the meter tells me the aperture to use. this is a slower way of metering but more accurate. it's a matter for you which one to use, depends on what you shoot and your own preferences

As others have said, cheapest light meter is a free app on your phone, however that will always be a reflected light meter. I prefer incident metering if possible. You will need a separate light meter with incident capability for that. A Sekonic L-308 is available new, for example.

Thank you! I've read the ISO speed for double-x is at both 200 and 400. And yes, i've watched video explaining how one to push the film by soaking the film in the chemical for a longer time. That will be done when i send the film in for developing.

I would not recommend to Push Double x. This Film have a very Strong Tone curve and contrast. So you have a very Little Range to Meter correctly. Shoot at iso 250 and take the Right developer. Hp5 is okay to push

If you're not developing it yourself, I'd start by shooting some otherwise identical test pictures at both 200 and 400 and perhaps a few other settings (noting which you used for each frame) and just get standard processing done with no special instructions. You might find that (e.g.) you prefer the look at 400 ISO with normal development. See for example:

With the developer and timing used in this test, a higher ISO setting than 200 might well be preferable (though this may not be true for the developer used by your processing service). Your results will give you a baseline for any further adjustments (e.g. requesting push processing).

As part of the batch of exotic film I ordered from Spain a couple of weeks ago, I bought some Double-X, a motion picture film stock which has many enthusiastic users. Usually I will shoot a new film at its box speed and find out what developer is most recommended and tweak from there. But not this time.

American Museum of Natural History, black and white, Diafine, double-x, eastman, film, grain, kodak, motion picture film, natural history museum, pushed film, pushing film, stock, using movie film stock