ConceptNet Installation Using Docker Not Supported!

jiten gupta

Apr 10, 2018, 8:48:58 AM4/10/18
to conceptnet-users
Why Have they removed the installation steps of ConceptNet Using Docker from the link https://github.com/commonsense/conceptnet5/wiki/Running-your-own-copy ?
Are they not going to support ConceptNet installation using Docker in future?

Rob Speer

Apr 10, 2018, 2:31:24 PM4/10/18
to conceptn...@googlegroups.com
Indeed, ConceptNet 5.6 is out now, and it no longer uses Docker. To reproduce ConceptNet 5.6, we support launching it as an AMI on Amazon Web Services, or on your own virtual machine that can be configured to work like the AMI using Puppet scripts that we provide, or of course by manually installing its dependencies and building it from its sources.

Docker was worth a try, but I found it didn't fundamentally solve the problem of getting people started using ConceptNet, it just made it harder. I could paraphrase a number of conversations with interested people as:

Q: "How do I install the current version of ConceptNet?"
A: "Docker"
Q: "Oh. Then how do I install the previous version?"

And I don't blame them. In general, I think that static data at the scale of ConceptNet is a use case that Docker does not cover very well yet.

If someone else wants to make and support a separate project for running ConceptNet in Docker, that would be fine.

-- Rob

On Tue, 10 Apr 2018 at 08:49 jiten gupta <conf...@gmail.com> wrote:
Why Have they removed the installation steps of ConceptNet Using Docker from the link https://github.com/commonsense/conceptnet5/wiki/Running-your-own-copy ?
Are they not going to support ConceptNet installation using Docker in future?

jiten gupta

Apr 11, 2018, 1:54:02 AM4/11/18
to conceptnet-users
thanks for clarification.

Johannes Castner

May 15, 2019, 6:29:32 AM5/15/19
to conceptnet-users
hello,

I'm indeed trying to make a new Docker version, where the data is hosted in a persistent volume.  I'd greatly appreciate to see any old docker or docker compose files that you still have. Any difficulties that you encountered could help guide my own efforts, if you don't mind sharing?

Johannes

On Tuesday, April 10, 2018 at 7:31:24 PM UTC+1, Rob Speer wrote:
Indeed, ConceptNet 5.6 is out now, and it no longer uses Docker. To reproduce ConceptNet 5.6, we support launching it as an AMI on Amazon Web Services, or on your own virtual machine that can be configured to work like the AMI using Puppet scripts that we provide, or of course by manually installing its dependencies and building it from its sources.

Docker was worth a try, but I found it didn't fundamentally solve the problem of getting people started using ConceptNet, it just made it harder. I could paraphrase a number of conversations with interested people as:

Q: "How do I install the current version of ConceptNet?"
A: "Docker"