What is it likely to cost to run an instance of ConceptNet on AWS?

Jeff Wright

Jun 21, 2020, 12:28:12 AM6/21/20
to conceptnet-users
As a data technology hobbyist I experiment with a variety of semantic frameworks.
Is there a way to estimate the cost of spinning up an instance of ConceptNet on AWS, as described in the installation instructions?

Amirouche Boubekki

Jun 21, 2020, 1:18:50 AM6/21/20
to conceptn...@googlegroups.com
Le dim. 21 juin 2020 à 06:28, Jeff Wright <to.jeff...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> As a data technology hobbyist I experiment with a variety of semantic frameworks.
> Is there a way to estimate the cost of spinning up an instance of ConceptNet on AWS, as described in the installation instructions?

The answer is: it depends on your usage, even personal usage. If you
target the setup described in
https://github.com/commonsense/conceptnet5/wiki/Running-your-own-copy
I think it could be less than $500 per month. Here is an AWS
calculator to make a more precise calculation: https://calculator.aws/

At the moment, I am running a project for myself for testing purposes
similar to conceptnet, the machine is 40 threads cores, 64G of RAM and
there is 300G of SSD RAID 1 (mirror), it cost me around $250 per
month. The equivalent in AWS cost: $800 per month, see
https://calculator.aws/#/estimate?id=7d4398ed6bb0e94d6a8d977eff2d42f7a7d61aac

If you are familiar with ssh and cli tools, you will save a lot of
money by renting a _dedicated server_ instead of AWS or GCloud. I
could recommend hosting providers in Europe. I do not know what there
is in the USA. The user experience using AWS EC2 machine and a
dedicated server is similar: you need knowledge of linux command lines
to be able to set up the machine. You could help yourself with RDS or
the new PostgreSQL compatible database by Amazon but that is even more
costly and probably overkill for personal / hobby projects.

Another suggestion, if your personal computer does not rely on disk
encryption (called LUKS in ubuntu), you can set up a local instance of
conceptnet easily. For $800 you can even buy a dedicated machine for
doing that ;-)

Hope this helps.

Amirouche Boubekki

Jun 21, 2020, 1:24:09 AM6/21/20
to conceptn...@googlegroups.com
To answer the question the cost to run the recommended configuration
(t2.medium) is $23.95 per month.

ref: https://calculator.aws/#/estimate?id=141635b97de47823707efed2ac47ef85a14804af

Le dim. 21 juin 2020 à 06:28, Jeff Wright <to.jeff...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> As a data technology hobbyist I experiment with a variety of semantic frameworks.
> Is there a way to estimate the cost of spinning up an instance of ConceptNet on AWS, as described in the installation instructions?
>
> --

Amirouche ~ https://hyper.dev

jwright

Jun 23, 2020, 1:21:41 PM6/23/20
to conceptn...@googlegroups.com
Thanks so much! That is much more plausible economically than the jaw dropping figure of the previous message :)
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "conceptnet-users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/conceptnet-users/CAL7_Mo-rSx%2B%3Dn6wyQw0ejJqAO3RXQBVyGsd5_OQJE1xt0uU%2BbA%40mail.gmail.com.

Amirouche Boubekki

Jun 23, 2020, 2:02:43 PM6/23/20
to conceptn...@googlegroups.com
$800 is AWS price for what I pay $150 (I just checked).

Indeed small machines are cheap, which is part of the vendor-lockin process.