Terms of use of conceptnet data on another publicly accessible endpoint

Amirouche Boubekki

Feb 20, 2020, 12:22:05 PM2/20/20
to conceptnet-users
I would like to import conceptnet data inside my "database" that is called "copernic" and make it accessible to anyone.

I read the copyright notice in the wiki [0].

[0] https://github.com/commonsense/conceptnet5/wiki/Copying-and-sharing-ConceptNet

In the current approach I have taken with copernic [1], it rely on a quad store where one of the tuple item is supposed to be the license of the quad. If I re-use conceptnet data, I am not sure what license to store.

[1] https://github.com/amirouche/copernic

For example, a relation taken from conceptnet that is itself extracted from wordnet, what should the license be?

Maybe instead of the term `license`, I should use the term `provenance`? However, provenance would be both conceptnet and wordnet. It seems to me a conceptnet relation can have multiple license.

Robyn Speer

Feb 20, 2020, 3:54:11 PM2/20/20
to conceptn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Amirouche,

Because many of the edges in ConceptNet come with CC By-SA 4.0 licenses, if you're importing ConceptNet into a database, the resulting database has to be under a CC By-SA 4.0 compatible license. All the edges in ConceptNet are compatible with this license.

ConceptNet edges have a "license" field that can be "cc:by/4.0" or "cc:by-sa/4.0", depending on the source the knowledge came from. This is information that will rarely be useful, in retrospect. When I put the field there, it was when I was just introducing ShareAlike sources such as Wiktionary, and I imagined there would be some need for using a limited subset of ConceptNet without a ShareAlike license. One could hypothetically delete all the By-SA edges and use the remainder of the graph under CC By. But it's far more effective to just... not do that, and use ConceptNet under the CC By-SA license as designed.

You should include the attribution given on the "Copying and sharing ConceptNet" page, or to be particularly thorough, you can include the DATA-CREDITS.md file in your own project: https://github.com/commonsense/conceptnet5/blob/master/DATA-CREDITS.md

Provenance is represented at two levels: the detailed provenance in the "sources" of each edge, and the "dataset" field that indicates broadly where each edge originated from (choosing arbitrarily if it comes from multiple datasets).

I hope this helps,
-- Robyn

Amirouche Boubekki

Feb 20, 2020, 4:11:28 PM2/20/20
to conceptn...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the quick response.

I removed the license column for the time being. I give it a spin at
http://copernic.space.

Here is an example query:
http://copernic.space/query/?uid0=uid%3F&key0=title&value0=copernic&uid1=uid%3F&key1=key%3F&value1=value%3F

The store is mostly empty, but one can already import triples and send
change-requests.

Regards