ZCAV on display

Federico Lucifredi

Sep 22, 2011, 7:47:42 PM9/22/11
to Computing Performance
Hello Computing Performance,
I pointed to an article on CPU last year discussing ZCAV on current
hard drives, and the difference was found to be fairly limited.

I was trying out the Ubuntu "Disk Utility" built-in benchmark a few
days back, and I was surprised by results showing that in a Lenovo
X200s laptop, the data transfer rate drops to 50% from the outermost
track to the innermost. The drive is a Hitachi HTS723216L9SA60. See
this beautiful picture of zone constant angular velocity's effects:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86679254@N00/6173262251/in/photostream/lightbox/

Best -Federico

-- "'Problem' is a bleak word for challenge" - Richard Fish
(Federico L. Lucifredi) - flucifredi at acm.org - GnuPG 0x4A73884C