Tweaks for Linux Performance

Federico Lucifredi

Sep 17, 2020, 3:57:14 PM9/17/20
to Computing Performance
A recent collection of performance tweaks, from the pages of LinuxPro Magazine:

I am not sure I endorse the whole set, but I really like the treatment of ZRAM/ZCACHE at the beginning: I have them in my list of topics for future columns, and there was really little coherent writing on either subject when I last looked 6 months ago (there are the kernel docs, but the Debian/Ubuntu distro automation appears to do something different... making things interesting if you follow the kernel docs).

  Best -F

 -- "'Problem' is a bleak word for challenge" - Richard Fish
 (Federico L. Lucifredi)-

Bill Ricker

Sep 17, 2020, 4:30:03 PM9/17/20
to computing-...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 3:57 PM Federico Lucifredi <fluci...@acm.org> wrote:
A recent collection of performance tweaks, from the pages of LinuxPro Magazine:

> Eliminate excessive cryptographic routines that involve hard drives.
> To prevent the I/O on your SSD or HDD from contributing to the entropy pool, you can disable the add_random setting for your block devices:

speeding IO and reducing entropy available for security may be self-defeating if secure actions have to wait for entropy, or are allowed to continue with inadequate entropy.