Internationalised (i15d) Email Addresses

André Schappo

Jan 15, 2018, 4:17:23 AM1/15/18
to Computer Science Curriculum Internationalization

I have started work on a blog article, the main purpose of which is to list working internationalised email addresses. It will be an ongoing article and I intend to develop and maintain this article for at least 3 years. Why 3 years? My reasoning is that it will be in the order of 3 years before there is widespread awareness of internationalised email addresses.

By internationalised email addresses I mean non English/ASCII email addresses. Emails of the form: hindi-name@hindi-domain-name, thai-name@thai-domain name, written in the native script and not a romanised form. My fully functional and fully Chinese email address is 小山@电邮.在线 I have had my Chinese email address since Jan 6 2017.

I would like your help. Whilst your are on your travels, electronic or physical, can you please be on the lookout for i15d email addresses. If you spot any then:  then please record the email address and a link to source. If printed, newspaper, billboard, shop front, please take a photo. Post any finds to this forum or tweet me at twitter.com/andreschappo

If you would like to be referenced then I will put something simple in my new blog article, such as

email-link — this is the email address of ...  (found by Jill Smith optional-link-to-Jill's-twitter-or-whatever)

Currently public domain i15d email addresses are a bit of a rarity. Though I suspect that there will be quite a number in Russia because IDNs (Internationalised Domain Names) are very popular in Russia. My knowledge of Russian is minimal so I find it hard to search for Russian email addresses. If any of you know Russian it would be good if you could search for Russian email addresses.

On Wednesday I will be giving a Computer Science Internationalisation Workshop to school students. Here is the brief description I wrote for the organisers.

--start description
🌍  We are a long way from a fully internationalised internet, but everyone, no matter their skills or knowledge, can play a part in this grand endeavour. You too can play an important part in this exciting technological and cultural adventure.

Activities in this participatory workshop will include: looking at what global companies such as McDonald's are doing, looking at techniques and technologies for internationalisation (i18n) and together we will do some programming.

Do you know that it is now possible, for example, to have a Chinese email address? Currently, not many people have such an email but I do and mine is 小山@电邮.在线 I will show how you can get your own free email address in languages, such as, Hindi, Russian and Chinese.  🌏
--end description

I will be encouraging these school students to get involved in long term activities such as promoting and using internationalised email addresses, teaching their classmates and teachers how to internationalise their programming practices ...etc....

André Schappo