Postdoctoral Fellowship in Network Science

Molly King

Nov 21, 2023, 6:27:29 PM11/21/23
to computation...@googlegroups.com
Postdoctoral Fellow in Network Science

We are currently soliciting applications for a one-year full-time post-doctoral fellowship with expertise in computational and network social science and on topics related to gender, science, and collaboration.  Our research group investigates the determinants and consequences of gender inequalities in science as they relate to collaboration and collaborative opportunities. We focus in particular on the diverse and complex co-authorship patterns of scientists and their dynamics.  We seek applications for a postdoctoral position for a project exploring gender disparities across a global context using network analysis and citation statistics.  The successful candidate will apply approaches from “science of science” literature, bibliometric analysis, and computational and social network methodology to study how status shapes collaborative opportunities. The position also includes the potential to develop independent projects using project data. In addition to collaborating on data analysis and publication writing, the fellow will also have the opportunity to mentor talented undergraduates in advancing the research project.

We seek creative, self-driven and collaborative researchers, who have experience with some of the following techniques and programming languages (if not all):

  • Programming languages: R, familiarity with Python (strongly preferred) familiarity with network programming packages (preferred), and/or Stata (preferred);
  • Experience with exploratory data analysis: feature extraction, visualization, etc.;
  • Experience using social science data in a multivariate framework and with social network analysis;
  • Familiarity with citation analysis, including the collection of data from bibliometric sources, assessment of collaborative patterns and dynamics, and knowledge of and familiarity with the use of backward and forward citation statistics.
This position is located at Santa Clara University, and can be configured to be in-person, or potentially, can be remote and/or for variable hours. We are flexible on the start date, with the goal to begin work on or before March 1, 2024. For more information about the project, research team, position and request for applications, please see https://sites.google.com/view/gender-co-authorshipWe encourage interested candidates to reach out to us to discuss options and interests (as they relate to both the location and distribution of workload) and their interest in and experience with the project topic. These informal inquiries should be sent to gender-co-auth...@googlegroups.comWomen, members of underrepresented groups, and disabled applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.

Please feel free to forward this announcement as appropriate.

Molly M. King (Santa Clara University)

Kjersten Whittington (Reed College)

Megan Frederickson (University of Toronto)

---
Molly M. King, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Sociology
Santa Clara University