Last call: JACK Only

Gabriel M. Beddingfield

Nov 17, 2009, 2:08:25 PM11/17/09
to Composite Development

I'm about to yank out all audio/MIDI drivers except for JACK. No more
ALSA, OSS, PortAudio, PortMidi, CoreAudio, CoreMidi.[1] This is
your last chance to talk me out of it.

Reasons:

* JACK works on *nix, OS X, and Windows. With
MIDI.

* I realized during the transport redesign that
supporting all these drivers pretty much means
that we're re-writing JACK.

* That time could be better spent making
JACK work better on OS X and Windows.

* That time could also be better spent writing
Composite rather than legacy drivers. :-)

Thanks,
Gabriel

[1] However, the back-end will still be modular so that if
we /really/ want them back, it won't be difficult to do.

Patrick Shirkey

Nov 18, 2009, 2:28:58 AM11/18/09
to compos...@googlegroups.com
Take em out!!!! It's a good call.