The Road Ahead

Gabriel M. Beddingfield

Mar 22, 2010, 8:19:37 PM3/22/10
to Composite Development

Hello all,

I'm getting ready to make adjustments to the roadmap[1], and
I would like to hear your opinions about what you would like
to see worked on next. For example:

* I'm getting the impression that the LV2 GUI that lets
you edit and save drumkits and presets is at the top
of most people's list...

* Or perhaps you'd rather have LV2 dynamic parameters,
allowing things like per-instrument outputs and
settings.

* Or maybe you don't like LV2 and would like the DSSI
plugin ASAP

* ...and while you're doing the DSSI plugin, do the
DSSI GUI, too! (Note: I'm leaning /against/ doing
a DSSI GUI because it looks like it won't be able to
easily share code with the LV2 GUI.)

* Or the utter brokenness of composite-gui (sequencer)
is aggravating your OCD.

* Or you're a mega-midi-nerd and you want a more
complete MIDI implementation... complete with NRPN's,
omni mode on/off, pitch wheel, polyphonic after-touch,
and a rich SYSEX save/restore.

* Or you are hoping to steal code and really want to
see libTritium's API stabalized. (I'm probably the
only one in this category... :-))

Let me know your thoughs!

Meanwhile, I'm spending a few days doing misc. things
"around" composite (e.g. there's a bug I found with
ingen+composite that I'd like to solve).

Peace,
Gabriel

[1] http://gabe.is-a-geek.org/composite/roadmap.html

Patrick Shirkey

Mar 23, 2010, 2:10:18 AM3/23/10
to compos...@googlegroups.com

From my perspective I think that getting the gui up and running again is an important step.

Cheers

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd.

To unsubscribe from this group, send email to composite-dev+unsubscribegooglegroups.com or reply to this email with the words "REMOVE ME" as the subject.

Alexandre Prokoudine

Mar 24, 2010, 11:18:50 AM3/24/10
to Composite Development
On 23 мар, 09:10, Patrick Shirkey <boosthardw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> From my perspective I think that getting the gui up and running again is an
> important step.

That and LV2 GUI. Make GUI talk to the sampler, and the whole thing
will be minimally functional.

Alexandre

Paul Dorman

Mar 26, 2010, 10:04:04 PM3/26/10
to Composite Development
Hi Alexandre, (and hi Pat! Long time no see!),

the road map looks good! With regards to the GUI, might I suggest that
it can be customised for different job/function types. Rather than
just having the option to view or hide certain GUI components (like
the sequencer or the matrix editor), provide the ability to have an
entire setup that can be recalled for whatever purpose the
configuration has been made. This might extend to particular patch bay
configurations, instrument racks, etc. Combined with the ability to
have multiple instances of each component/configuration, this would be
invaluable in a live setting.

I'm glad to read that you are planning on touchscreen support from the
outset. I'm going to be putting together a Reactable-type surface over
the next six or twelve months, but the kind of music I like to make
(D&B/Jungle) is not entirely suited to the usual Reactable model. The
ability to tie in parts of Composite would be wicked.

Lastly (for this first post at least), could macro/quick automation
support be included in the design? Basically this would provide the
ability to record a set of actions during a live set (either in play
mode or monitor mode), edit, copy, repeat, etc., and then conveniently
call up the macro automation in play mode, or compose further macros
from them, or insert them into the a sequence ahead of time. Live
music is demanding and there is a lot of stuff to do to keep things
moving, so impromptu automation would be a real boon.

Thanks for this initiative! The free software world has been missing
this kind of project for far too long!

Regards,
Paul

On Mar 25, 4:18 am, Alexandre Prokoudine

Gabriel M. Beddingfield

Mar 28, 2010, 9:57:02 PM3/28/10
to Composite Development

Hi Guys,

All great ideas! Time to get goo-ey, eh? I think I'll
tackle the LV2 gui first, since it will be incorperated into
the main gui.

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010, Paul Dorman wrote:

> the road map looks good! With regards to the GUI, might I suggest that
> it can be customised for different job/function types. Rather than
> just having the option to view or hide certain GUI components (like
> the sequencer or the matrix editor), provide the ability to have an
> entire setup that can be recalled for whatever purpose the

[etc...]

This sounds kind of like a "multiple document interface."[1]
Like Hydrogen 0.9.3. Is that kind of what you're thinking?

> I'm glad to read that you are planning on touchscreen support from the
> outset. I'm going to be putting together a Reactable-type surface over
> the next six or twelve months, but the kind of music I like to make
> (D&B/Jungle) is not entirely suited to the usual Reactable model. The
> ability to tie in parts of Composite would be wicked.

Never heard of Reactable... so I searched it and watched
some Youtubes on it. Sweet!

> Lastly (for this first post at least), could macro/quick automation
> support be included in the design? Basically this would provide the

It's in the design spec. as "debatable." Translation: "I
really want this, it would be really sweet, but am I getting
carried away? Am I the only one who wants this?"

:-)

Peace,
Gabriel

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_document_interface

Paul Dorman

Mar 31, 2010, 5:15:56 PM3/31/10
to compos...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gabriel and all,

thanks for the response. With the automation question in particular, I don't think it has to be part of the core application at all. Just make good API hooks for every Composite parameter, musical or otherwise. I assume there will be MIDI, but that won't cover everything, and you want to enable people to use the programming tools they like or are used to.

I'm glad to have introduced you to Reactable. Perhaps you'd like to check out a program called Dasher as well. It has nothing to do with music, but it has a very, very interesting interface that perhaps will inspire you. I recommend you download it and have a play. I think it would be awesome in a multi-touch environment. http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/dasher/

Regards,
Paul