Composite 0.006 Released (LV2 Sampler)

Gabriel M. Beddingfield

Mar 18, 2010, 11:28:08 AM3/18/10
to compos...@googlegroups.com

In the spirit of "release early, release often," I am pleased to
announce the release of Composite 0.006. This release marks the
completion of the LV2 Sampler Plugin, which supports Hydrogen drum
kits.

STATUS
------

Composite is a project with a large vision. Here is the status of the
different components:

composite-gui: Alpha (i.e. "a broken version of Hydrogen")
compoiste_sampler (LV2): production/stable, no GUI
libTritium: Not a public API, yet.

LINKS
-----

Composite: http://gabe.is-a-geek.org/composite/
Plugin Docs: file:///home/gabriel/code/composite-planning/plugins/sampler/1
Tarball: http://gabe.is-a-geek.org/composite/releases/composite-0.006.tar.bz2
Git: http://gitorious.org/composite
git://gitorious.org/composite/composite.git

HOW TO USE THE PLUGIN
---------------------

To use the plugin, you need the following:

* A program (host) that loads LV2 plugins.

* A MIDI controller.

* An audio output device. :-)

The following LV2 hosts are known to work with this plugin:

Ingen http://drobilla.net/blog/software/ingen/
lv2_jack_host http://drobilla.net/software/slv2/

The following is known to _not_ work:

zynjacku (Uses a different MIDI port type)

If you don't have a hardware MIDI controller, I suggest using
jack-keyboard (http://jack-keyboard.sourceforge.net/).

The first time you run the sampler, it will create a file
~/.composite/data/presets/default.xml, which will set up presets on
Bank 0 for the two default drum kits (GMkit and TR808EmulationKit).
Sending MIDI PC 0 and PC 1 will switch between the two kits. See
composite_sampler(1) for more information on setting up presets.

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
----------------

With this release, I would especially like to thank:

Harry Van Haaren - For help with testing. This release has much
more polish because of you.

David Robillard - For general help with Ingen and LV2. I also
stole a lot of great design ideas from Ingen.

Peace,
Gabriel M. Beddingfield

Gabriel

Mar 20, 2010, 11:12:01 PM3/20/10
to Composite Development
Hello all,

On Mar 18, 10:28 am, "Gabriel M. Beddingfield" <gabrb...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> The following is known to _not_ work:
>
>      zynjacku (Uses a different MIDI port type)

Nedko pointed out that zynjacku /does/ support this MIDI port type.
However,
there were some other reasons why it wasn't working.

You can get Composite Sampler to work with zynjacku by running it like
this:

$ QT_NO_GLIB=1 zynjacku

It turns out that QThread is calling g_thread_init(), which creates a
deadlock with the existing glib event loop.

I'm working on a real fix.

Peace,
Gabriel