Warning: default-stability switch to stable

Jordi Boggiano

Jul 2, 2012, 4:26:41 AM7/2/12
to compos...@googlegroups.com
Heya,

I want to give a last warning before doing this, because it will most
likely affect many of you:

On Wednesday (in two days) we will switch the default stability inside
composer to be "stable" instead of "dev". This will also mark the
release of alpha4.

What this means is that by default composer will not see packages of
types RC, beta, alpha or dev. There are a few way to overcome this:

- If you require explicitly a version like dev-master, a rule is added
for that package that dev packages are ok.
- If you require a package using "<someconstraint>@<stability>", e.g.
"1.0@beta", this adds a rule for that package. If you want to add a rule
for a dependency of a dependency that is not available, you can just use
"@beta" or "@dev" which adds the rule but without adding an additional
version constraint.
- You can add a rule for all packages at once, by adding this to your
composer.json: "minimum-stability": "dev"

The latter is the current behavior, so if you want to prepare for the
change, adding this to your composer.json will make it "future proof".
However the best thing would be that everyone tags releases (if only
alpha ones), because relying on dev packages is not sustainable.

Please help spread the word.

Cheers

--
Jordi Boggiano
@seldaek - http://nelm.io/jordi

Rob Loach

Jul 4, 2012, 10:59:06 AM7/4/12
to compos...@googlegroups.com
The documentation about "minimum-stability" can be found at:

Thanks,
Rob

--
Rob Loach

Rafael Wanjiku

Aug 14, 2012, 8:35:32 AM8/14/12
to compos...@googlegroups.com
Thanks..I wondered whats up with composer..but now spreading the word.

danki...@googlemail.com

Jan 3, 2013, 2:28:35 PM1/3/13
to compos...@googlegroups.com
I have a project which itself depends on composer like this:

    "require": {
        "composer/composer": "1.0.*@dev"
    },

(this is the version recommended here:  https://packagist.org/packages/composer/composer - the only other versions appear to all be alphas)

If I do a composer update on that project it works fine, but I then have another project which has a dev dependency on the first projejct.

When I try and do a composer update on the second project I get a no matching package found error for composer/composer 1.0.*@dev, followed by this:

Potential causes:
 - A typo in the package name
 - The package is not available in a stable-enough version according to your minimum-stability setting
   see <https://groups.google.com/d/topic/composer-dev/_g3ASeIFlrc/discussion> for more details.

Setting minimum-stability = "dev" on the second project seems to fix the problem.

Is this the expected behaviour?
Also, is there a plan to release a non-dev version of composer on packagist?

Thanks.

danki...@googlemail.com

Jan 3, 2013, 2:34:52 PM1/3/13
to compos...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I meant to say that the problem occurs when I do composer update --dev on the second project.  The second project has a dev dependency on the first project, which has a (non-dev) dependency on (the dev (and as far as I can see only) version of) composer.

Jordi Boggiano

Jan 4, 2013, 12:54:07 PM1/4/13
to compos...@googlegroups.com
Heya,

> Setting minimum-stability = "dev" on the second project seems to fix the
> problem.
>
> Is this the expected behaviour?

It is yes. It's reading the stability stuff from the root package only,
for similar reasons as repositories (see
http://getcomposer.org/doc/faqs/why-can't-composer-load-repositories-recursively.md
)

> Also, is there a plan to release a non-dev version of composer on packagist?

When it's considered stable it will most certainly be tagged in a stable
1.0.0.

Frederico Wuerges Becker

Apr 29, 2014, 1:19:13 AM4/29/14
to compos...@googlegroups.com
Hello, sorry for the inconvenience, but I'm with a similar problem and do not know how to solve it.
Could you please see if they can help me?

Thanks in advance!

Frederico Wuerges Becker

Apr 29, 2014, 1:58:17 AM4/29/14
to compos...@googlegroups.com
I'm an idiot! I was doing wrong, putting the minimum-stability = "dev" in composer.json of the dependency project, and not in my main project.
After putting the minimum-stability = "dev" on my main project, downloaded smoothly!