Interactive C++: cling and clang-repl project [10 Mar at 17:00 CET/8:00PDT]

Vassil Vassilev

Mar 3, 2022, 12:08:03 PM3/3/22
to compiler-research-announce, cling-dev, princeton...@cern.ch, root-dev, liber...@liberty-research.org, Stefan Gränitz, Lang Hames
Dear all,

  Our next meeting will be on 10 March 2022 at 17:00 Geneva (CH) Time.

  We are happy to host Stefan Gränitz who is an LLVM Orc JIT developer.

  Title: ez-clang: experimental C++ REPL for bare metal

  Abstract: In 2021 a new remote-JIT layer "RemoteEPC" landed in LLVM's OrcJIT library [0]. It separates serialization from transport, streamlines error behavior and integrates well with ExecutorProcessControl. Combined with the clean design  and extensibility of ORCv2 and JITLink, it lowers the bar for building exotic out-of-process LLVM bitcode JITs.

  The ez-clang project [1] makes use of all these to build a pure out-of-process REPL specifically designed for very low-resource embedded devices. The executor endpoint on the device is very simple and fits into a few Kilobytes of memory. All heavy lifting happens in the JIT process on the host.

  I want to present my proof-of-concept implementation, which is based on a hacked-up version of cling [2] (bringing in Clang-integration, a command line and the concept of transaction-based incremental compilation). Right now, it supports a small selection of Cortex-M  development boards. The smallest is the TeensyLC [3] with an ARMv6-M instruction set, 62kb Flash memory and 8kb RAM.

 [0] https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/commit/bb27e4564355
 [1] https://echtzeit.dev/ez-clang
 [2] https://github.com/root-project/cling
 [3] https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/teensyLC.html

  Speaker: Stefan Gränitz, LLVM Orc JIT developer

  Feel free to forward this email to everybody who might be interested.

Best,
David & Vassil
meeting-92393493356-10-03-22.ics

Vassil Vassilev

Mar 10, 2022, 10:03:21 AM3/10/22
to compiler-research-announce, cling-dev, princeton...@cern.ch, root-dev, liber...@liberty-research.org, Stefan Gränitz, Lang Hames
Dear all,

  Today's meeting slides are up. You can find them here:
https://compiler-research.org/meetings/#caas_10Mar2022

  We start in an hour.

Best, Vassil