Interactive C++: cling and clang-repl project [2 Sep at 17:00 CET/8:00PDT]

Vassil Vassilev

Aug 31, 2021, 10:08:16 AM8/31/21
to compiler-research-announce, princeton...@cern.ch, cling-dev, roo...@cern.ch, liber...@liberty-research.org, root-planning, Wim Lavrijsen
Dear all,

  Our next meeting will be on 02 September 2021 at 17:00 Geneva (CH) Time .

  We are happy to host Wim Lavrijsen who is the author of the cppyy project used for dynamic Python to C++ interoperability.

  Title: Cppyy

  Abstract: cppyy provides automatic Python bindings to C++ code, at runtime, through Cling, the C++ interpreter. Python is itself a dynamic language executed by an interpreter, thus the interaction with C++ code becomes more natural when intermediated by Cling. Examples include runtime template instantiations, callbacks, cross-language inheritance, automatic downcasting, and exception mapping. Many advanced C++ features such as placement new, multiple virtual inheritance, variadic templates, etc., are also naturally handled.

  cppyy achieves high performance through an all-lazy approach and specialization of common cases through runtime reflection. As such, it has a much lower call overhead than other binders, notably in its implementation for PyPy, a fully compatible Python interpreter sporting a tracing JIT. Furthermore, cppyy makes maintaining a large software stack simpler: except for cppyy’s own python-interpreter binding, it does not have any compiled code that is Python-dependent. I.e., cppyy-based extension modules require no recompilation when switching Python interpreters.

  In this presentation I'll show the benefits of runtime Python-C++ bindings and give a bird's eye overview of the implementation underpinning cppyy.

  Speaker: Wim Lavrijsen, LBL

  Feel free to forward this email to everybody who might be interested.

Best,
David & Vassil

meeting-92544354004.ics

Vassil Vassilev

Sep 2, 2021, 10:18:42 AM9/2/21
to compiler-research-announce, princeton...@cern.ch, cling-dev, roo...@cern.ch, liber...@liberty-research.org, root-planning, Wim Lavrijsen
Dear all,

  Today's meeting slides are up. You can find them here:
https://compiler-research.org/meetings/#caas_02Sep2021

  We start in a little less than half an hour.

Best, Vassil