Compiler-Research Monthly Meeting [11 Jul 2024 at 17:00 CET/8:00PDT]

1 view

Vassil Vassilev

Jul 10, 2024, 2:03:08 PM (5 days ago) Jul 10
to compiler-research-announce, compiler-re...@googlegroups.com, princeton...@cern.ch, roo...@cern.ch, Jonas Rembser, Vaibhav Thakkar
Dear all,

  Our next meeting will be on 11 July 2024 at 17:00 Geneva (CH) Time.

  We are happy to host Vaibhav Thakkar.

  Title: Automatic Differentiation in Roofit for Fast and Accurate Likelihood Fits

  Abstract: RooFit is a widely used data analysis library in High-energy physics experiments at CERN, which requires minimizing likelihoods with thousands of free parameters spread over hundreds of likelihood components. To iteratively find the minimum of a likelihood, one generally has to know the gradient of the likelihood with respect to all free parameters. Previously, these were calculated using numerical differentiation, which requires varying one parameter at a time and reevaluating the full likelihood. Although complete reevaluation can be prevented by a caching mechanism, it incurs a significant overhead in bookkeeping. This talk discusses the recent integration of automatic differentiation (AD) in RooFit for these gradient computations using Clad, a compile-time AD library for C++ codebases. We also present the efficiency improvements with the recently released Atlas and CMS Higgs models.

  Speaker: Vaibhav Thakkar is currently a research Intern at CERN, working with the compiler research group at Princeton University (US) on the project of compile-time automatic differentiation (Clad) in C++ for scientific computing applications. Previously, he earned my bachelor's in technology in Electrical Engineering from IIT Kanpur in India and worked as a software engineer for a couple of years after graduation.

  Feel free to forward this email to everybody who might be interested. This talk will be recorded.

Best,
Vassil

meeting-94396923932.ics

Vassil Vassilev

Jul 11, 2024, 10:40:52 AM (5 days ago) Jul 11
to compiler-research-announce, compiler-re...@googlegroups.com, princeton...@cern.ch, roo...@cern.ch, Jonas Rembser, Vaibhav Thakkar
Dear all,

  Today's meeting slides are up. You can find them here: https://compiler-research.org/meetings/#caas_11Jul2024

  We start in less than half an hour.