Interactive C++: Showcase Presentation [20 Sep at 17:00 CET/8:00PDT]

Vassil Vassilev

Sep 18, 2023, 11:03:11 AM9/18/23

Dear all,

  Our next meeting will be on 20 September 2023 at 17:00 Geneva (CH) Time.

  We have been working actively in the area of cling and LLVM in the last 3 years. We would like to invite you to our presentation which summarizes the challenges, opportunities and the achievements during this period.

  Title: C++ as a service - rapid software development and dynamic interoperability with python and beyond

  Abstract: The C++ programming language is used for many numerically intensive scientific applications. A combination of performance and solid backward compatibility has led to its use for many research software codes over the past 20 years. Despite its power, C++ is often seen as difficult to learn and inconsistent with rapid application development. Exploration and prototyping is slowed down by the long edit-compile-run cycles during development.

  In this talk we show how to leverage our experience in interactive C++, just-in-time compilation technology (JIT), dynamic optimizations, and large scale software development to greatly reduce the impedance mismatch between C++ and Python. We show how clang-repl generalizes Cling in LLVM upstream to offer a robust, sustainable and omnidisciplinary solution for C++ language interoperability. The demonstrate how we have:
  * advanced the interpretative technology to provide a state-of-the-art C++ execution environment;
  * enabled functionality which can provide native-like, dynamic runtime interoperability between C++ and Python; and
  * allowed utilization of heterogeneous hardware.

  The presentation includes interactive session where we demonstrate some of the capabilities of our system via the Jupyter interactive environment.

  Speaker: Dr. Vassil Vassilev, compiler-research.org

  This talk will not be recorded. Feel free to forward this email to everybody who might be interested.

Best,
Vassil

meeting-96468729098.ics

Vassil Vassilev

Sep 20, 2023, 10:25:56 AM9/20/23
Hi all,

  A quick reminder that we start in a little more than half an hour.

Best, Vassil