Oracle SQL Server Connectivity

Shantul

Aug 31, 2005, 9:32:19 AM8/31/05
to compgeneral
Hell O,

I have 2 different databases, one on Oracle and the other on SQL
Server. If I want to access a table in SQL Server from Oracle, is it
possible? Can we do it using a DB Link?
If yes, how?

Please let me know soon.

Cheers,

-Shantul

Gurjeet Singh

Aug 31, 2005, 9:46:51 AM8/31/05
to compg...@googlegroups.com
There is a feature called 'heterogeneous services' in Oracle. Go through
it's literature. Create a ODBC DSN that points to your SQL server
database and make the external table point to this DSN.

Also refer the following link:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/gateways/gateways_fov.html

Shantul Sharma

Aug 31, 2005, 9:52:09 AM8/31/05
to compg...@googlegroups.com
Sadly you are required to purchase a seperate product called the
Oracle Transparency Gateway along with your Oracle Database, to be
able to do this Gurjeet. I was looking for a way to do it with the
basic setup, coz one may not be willing to buy the gateway product for
doing so.

Gurjeet Singh

Aug 31, 2005, 9:56:43 AM8/31/05
to compg...@googlegroups.com
The following link might ask for registration, but it is very specific
to what you need:

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14117_01/server.101/b10764/toc.
htm

It is Oracle's official documentation so you might find it with your
Oracle installation too.

Gurjeet Singh

Aug 31, 2005, 10:22:02 AM8/31/05
to compg...@googlegroups.com
Shantul,

There are two components, Generic Connectivity and Transparent
Gateways. And if I am not wrong its the TGs that oracle charges extra
for. The Generic Connectivity is for free. Well I have not useed it
ever from outside Oracle, but the following link tells you how to
configure the generic connectivity component (for odbc too).

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14117_01/server.101/b10764/gencon.htm

Give it a shot, I am sure it will work.