What is causing the score reduction for position:sticky?

Chris Harrelson

May 13, 2021, 12:12:27 PM5/13/21
to compa...@googlegroups.com, Stephen McGruer, Philip Jägenstedt
https://wpt.fyi/compat2021?feature=position-sticky

Chrome seems to have bounced up and down, and all browsers went down at about the beginning of May.

+Stephen McGruer @Philip Jägenstedt how can we see which tests bounced their passing status?

We can see CLs that were in the latest dev release though, list here.

Philip Jägenstedt

May 13, 2021, 12:18:47 PM5/13/21
to Chris Harrelson, compa...@googlegroups.com, Stephen McGruer
I asked Stephen about this a while ago and his hypothesis was TablesNG getting enabled and disabled.

I don't see a way in the graphs to get a link to the wpt.fyi runs that the point was computed from, but clicking the first point after a change leads to precisely the link you shared. In there I see "[TableNG] Turn off for M91 branch point" which was hard to find because I was initially looking for "tables".

Using the same method on the previous increase in score leads to https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/ce54fa1dbfc1fe5256f431431c4a3bf712706625, so this was indeed the LayoutNGTable feature being turned on and off.

Best regards,
Philip

Chris Harrelson

May 13, 2021, 12:26:49 PM5/13/21
to Philip Jägenstedt, compa...@googlegroups.com, Stephen McGruer
Ok now i see the TableNG CLs. I was searching for "tables" and not "table".

Now I'd like to know about the change here (early May). That reduced the score in all browsers, did we add a test to the suite?

Philip Jägenstedt

May 13, 2021, 1:05:16 PM5/13/21
to Chris Harrelson, compa...@googlegroups.com, Stephen McGruer
Yeah, that must be a change in the test suite, because Chrome has been pinned to 91.0.4472.19 for almost 3 weeks. (This makes me realize getting it unpinned will be increasingly important...)

To figure this one out, I picked a run from May 1 and today in https://wpt.fyi/runs and compared them:

It looks like one test has gone from passing to failing, and another failing test has been added. This would be enough to explain a visible difference with only 43 tests included, but neither test is actually in the list AFAICT... +Stephen McGruer can you tell what's going on here?

I've gone ahead and filed https://github.com/web-platform-tests/wpt.fyi/issues/2531 about making it a bit easier to figure stuff like this out.

Chris Harrelson

May 13, 2021, 1:10:55 PM5/13/21
to Philip Jägenstedt, Robert Flack, compa...@googlegroups.com, Stephen McGruer
position-sticky-input-box-gets-focused-after-scroll.html: the test passes in the Chromium CQ (i.e., nothing marking it as failing in TestExpectations.

sticky-after-input.html: same.

Stephen McGruer

May 13, 2021, 7:41:12 PM5/13/21
to Chris Harrelson, Philip Jägenstedt, Robert Flack, compa...@googlegroups.com

Looks like the test and code was changed in https://chromium-review.googlesource.com/c/chromium/src/+/2727895 . I assume that CL isn't in 91.0.4472.19 (which WPT is currently pinned to), and I assume the other two browsers fail the changed-to behavior as well?

> sticky-after-input.html: same.

Newly added in the same CL; I would assume the same root cause.

--
smcgruer • he / him