xclip-copyfile and secondary selection

Javier

Mar 18, 2019, 10:59:41 AM3/18/19
I want to use xlclip-copyfile to move files between different machines.
It's a sh script distributed together with xclip that uses the
secondary selection to store files compressed as tar.gz

How can I know the maximum file size that the secondary selection can
store?

Eli the Bearded

Mar 18, 2019, 4:09:20 PM3/18/19
In comp.windows.x, Javier <inv...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> How can I know the maximum file size that the secondary selection can
> store?

I'd start with a binary search for the threshhold between works and
doesn't work.

Elijah
------
assuming you've already found a "doesn't work"

Kenny McCormack

Mar 18, 2019, 4:29:46 PM3/18/19
In article <eli$19031...@qaz.wtf>,
Eli the Bearded <*@eli.users.panix.com> wrote:
>In comp.windows.x, Javier <inv...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> How can I know the maximum file size that the secondary selection can
>> store?
>
>I'd start with a binary search for the threshhold between works and
>doesn't work.

I assume OP would prefer something documented - something he can rely on -
rather than having to test it by trial-and-error on each new platform he
encounters.

--
There are two kinds of Republicans: Billionaires and suckers.
Republicans: Please check your bank account and decide which one is you.

Eli the Bearded

Mar 18, 2019, 6:53:56 PM3/18/19
In comp.windows.x, Kenny McCormack <gaz...@shell.xmission.com> wrote:
> Eli the Bearded <*@eli.users.panix.com> wrote:
>> In comp.windows.x, Javier <inv...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>> How can I know the maximum file size that the secondary selection can
>>> store?
>> I'd start with a binary search for the threshhold between works and
>> doesn't work.
> I assume OP would prefer something documented - something he can rely on -
> rather than having to test it by trial-and-error on each new platform he
> encounters.

When I try:
xclip -selection secondary -in /dev/zero

I don't find any hard and fast limit. I just see the slow exhaustion of
all memory. (And I killed it when the system started to swap rather than
let it run to OoM death.)

Was that so hard?

Elijah
------
gets annoyed by having everything swapped it, switching apps is too slow