Xlib popup menus

Noel Hunt

Jun 27, 2018, 9:40:14 PM6/27/18
I have written code implementing Blit-style menus as they
appear in Eight Edition Unix. These are popup menus, which
will scroll the contents when the contents are above a
certain threshold, and they are hierarchical, i.e. they
can cascade. The style of menus in Plan9 is basically
the same without the ability to cascade.

I wrote this because there is absolutely nothing satisfactory
in terms of menu code for Xlib, and there never has been
as far as I can see.

The shell bundle is about 1500 lines of code so I don't
wish to post it here, but will happily mail the bundle to
anyone who is interested---please let me know if you are.

Regards,
Noel Hunt

Ivan Shmakov

Jul 17, 2018, 11:25:09 AM7/17/18

> I have written code implementing Blit-style menus as they appear in
> Eight Edition Unix. These are popup menus, which will scroll the
> contents when the contents are above a certain threshold, and they
> are hierarchical, i. e. they can cascade. The style of menus in Plan9
> is basically the same without the ability to cascade.

> I wrote this because there is absolutely nothing satisfactory in terms
> of menu code for Xlib, and there never has been as far as I can see.

> The shell bundle is about 1500 lines of code so I don't wish to post
> it here, but will happily mail the bundle to anyone who is
> interested---please let me know if you are.

Can you post it to news:alt.sources instead?

Alternatively, can you post it to, say, http://transfer.sh/ and
post the link here? Like, e. g.:

$ curl --upload-file ./libxpopup.shar http://transfer.sh/libxpopup.shar

(The command will output the URI the file is available under.)

But personally, my first question is: what's the license?

TIA.

--
FSF associate member #7257 http://am-1.org/~ivan/

Noel Hunt

Jul 17, 2018, 6:59:12 PM7/17/18
On Wednesday, July 18, 2018 at 1:25:09 AM UTC+10, Ivan Shmakov wrote:

> But personally, my first question is: what's the license?

Since it is based on code from Bell Labs which is now available
at The Unix Heritage Society, it is not encumbered by any license.
I'd be pleased to know if you find any bugs.

I have uploaded it: https://transfer.sh/TUlod/libxpopup.shar

Regards,
Noel Hunt

Ivan Shmakov

Jul 17, 2018, 9:55:30 PM7/17/18

>> But personally, my first question is: what's the license?

> Since it is based on code from Bell Labs which is now available at
> The Unix Heritage Society, it is not encumbered by any license.
> I'd be pleased to know if you find any bugs.

Unless I'm gravely mistaken about copyright law, "license" means
"permission", and consequently "no license" means "no permission."
(Aside of "fair use," of course, such as quoting a Usenet article.)

I'll check it out, but I'd very much hesitate to rely upon it in
any of the code that I intend to release to the public.
ACK, thanks.

Noel Hunt

Jul 18, 2018, 12:05:21 AM7/18/18
On Wednesday, July 18, 2018 at 11:55:30 AM UTC+10, Ivan Shmakov wrote:
> Unless I'm gravely mistaken about copyright law, "license" means
> "permission", and consequently "no license" means "no permission."
> (Aside of "fair use," of course, such as quoting a Usenet article.)

If you are content with menus that don't cascade, you could
use the code David Hogan wrote originally for '9wm' the plan9-style
window manager. I suspect that is covered by some kind of 'fair
use' license. I don't know of anyone who has ever used it though,
but it was the precursor of 'rio', the window manager in the plan9
port suite of programs.