looking for stroke font

J. P. DeLong

Aug 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/17/95
First, let me say that I am a complete novice in this area and I am
probably not using the right terminology, etc., so please bear with
me.

I am looking for a stroke (vector) font version of Courier. I don't
care much about the format of the file as long as the structure can
be determined, since we use our own crazy scheme and it would have
to be translated anyway. Ideally, the source of this font would
be public domain, although if it was necessary to purchase it, that
might be OK, depending on the particulars.

If anyone knows of a source, or has a (polite) suggestion for somewhere
else to look, I'd appreciate any information you'd care to give.

Thanks for your help.

J. P. DeLong
Siemens Energy and Automation, Inc.
Empros Power Systems Control Division
7225 Northland Drive
Brooklyn Park, MN 55428-1540
(612) 536-4337
jde...@empros.com

--

WOOF!

Mark Kilgard

Aug 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/18/95
to jde...@empros.com
In article <DDGM7...@empros.com>, jde...@empros.com (J. P. DeLong) writes:

|> First, let me say that I am a complete novice in this area and I am
|> probably not using the right terminology, etc., so please bear with
|> me.
|>
|> I am looking for a stroke (vector) font version of Courier. I don't
|> care much about the format of the file as long as the structure can
|> be determined, since we use our own crazy scheme and it would have
|> to be translated anyway. Ideally, the source of this font would
|> be public domain, although if it was necessary to purchase it, that
|> might be OK, depending on the particulars.
|>
|> If anyone knows of a source, or has a (polite) suggestion for somewhere
|> else to look, I'd appreciate any information you'd care to give.

You can get a stroke roman font from the PEX font section of the
X11R6 distribution. I've written a translator that converts the
PEX font files into an easy to use C file. Compile the file into
your app and you get the font information without having to parse
any whacky files. This in the GLUT 2.3 distribution found at:

ftp://sgigate.sgi.com/pub/opengl/xjournal/GLUT/

You'll want to look at the files glut_roman.c and glut_mroman.c (a
mono spaced version) in the lib/glut directory.

BTW, GLUT is the OpenGL Utility Toolkit, a library to make it easy
to write example and demo OpenGL programs.

- Mark