Motif on Microsoft Windows

Aaron W. Hsu

Apr 8, 2011, 2:18:23 AM4/8/11
What experiences, if any, have any of you had with working with Motif on
Windows? It seems like some of the vendors are no longer providing Motif,
but it's not clear from websites which still offer Motif and X servers for
windows and which do not. Does anyone have any experience in this
department?

Aaron W. Hsu

--
Programming is just another word for the lost art of thinking.

Fred

Apr 8, 2011, 2:25:00 PM4/8/11
On Apr 7, 11:18 pm, "Aaron W. Hsu" <arcf...@sacrideo.us> wrote:
> What experiences, if any, have any of you had with working with Motif on
> Windows? It seems like some of the vendors are no longer providing Motif,
> but it's not clear from websites which still offer Motif and X servers for
> windows and which do not. Does anyone have any experience in this
> department?

I use Motif on Windows, either with programs compiled with
VisualStudio or compiled under Cygwin.
In either case I use OpenText (Hummingbird) eXceed as the X-server,
(also need their X Development Kit, XDK)
--
Fred K

Aaron W. Hsu

Apr 8, 2011, 6:53:29 PM4/8/11
On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 14:25:00 -0400, Fred <fred.l.kl...@boeing.com>
wrote:

> I use Motif on Windows, either with programs compiled with
> VisualStudio or compiled under Cygwin.
> In either case I use OpenText (Hummingbird) eXceed as the X-server,
> (also need their X Development Kit, XDK)

Thanks for the reply! Does OpenText provide the Motif libraries or do
those come separately?

Fred

Apr 11, 2011, 10:13:23 AM4/11/11
On Apr 8, 3:53 pm, "Aaron W. Hsu" <arcf...@sacrideo.us> wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 14:25:00 -0400, Fred <fred.l.kleinschm...@boeing.com>

> wrote:
>
> > I use Motif on Windows, either with programs compiled with
> > VisualStudio or compiled under Cygwin.
> > In either case I use OpenText (Hummingbird) eXceed as the X-server,
> > (also need their X Development Kit, XDK)
>
> Thanks for the reply! Does OpenText provide the Motif libraries or do
> those come separately?

the X Development Kit (XDK) consists of the libraries and include
files for Motif1.2 and Motif2.1, for 32-bit and 64-bit platforms.
--
Fred K

Aaron W. Hsu

Apr 11, 2011, 2:09:29 PM4/11/11
On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 10:13:23 -0400, Fred <fred.l.kl...@boeing.com>
wrote:

> the X Development Kit (XDK) consists of the libraries and include
> files for Motif1.2 and Motif2.1, for 32-bit and 64-bit platforms.

Excellent! How have you found stability on these systems? I've used some
systems for Windows that seem to be remarkably unstable compared to their
UNIX counterparts.

Fred

Apr 11, 2011, 4:41:45 PM4/11/11
On Apr 11, 11:09 am, "Aaron W. Hsu" <arcf...@sacrideo.us> wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 10:13:23 -0400, Fred <fred.l.kleinschm...@boeing.com>

> wrote:
>
> > the X Development Kit (XDK) consists of the libraries and include
> > files for Motif1.2 and Motif2.1, for 32-bit and 64-bit platforms.
>
> Excellent! How have you found stability on these systems? I've used some
> systems for Windows that seem to be remarkably unstable compared to their
> UNIX counterparts.

The only real problem I have had with Hummingbird (now OpenText) is it
seems like for every new release they change the directory structure
where the files reside. The latest change was probably due to
Microsoft itself - under Windows 7 the directory structure is quite
different than under Windows NT

--
Fred K

Aaron W. Hsu

Apr 11, 2011, 4:57:24 PM4/11/11
On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 16:41:45 -0400, Fred <fred.l.kl...@boeing.com>
wrote:

> The only real problem I have had with Hummingbird (now OpenText) is it
> seems like for every new release they change the directory structure
> where the files reside. The latest change was probably due to
> Microsoft itself - under Windows 7 the directory structure is quite
> different than under Windows NT

Thanks very much! I can live with something like that. My main goal is to
find a way to support some people who need to use Windows when they
develop these applications, and for when I need to deploy these
applications occasionally onto Windows.