*customization: -more?

Ivan Shmakov

Dec 25, 2013, 11:27:11 AM12/25/13
Well, I see that the major use case for the .customization libXt
setting is choosing between monochrome and color application
defaults' files, like Xmessage vs. Xmessage-color.

Arguably, however, certain applications may benefit from easy
switching between some sets of settings unrelated to colors.
For instance, XTerm suggests to use either -misc-fixed- (having
probably the most decent Unicode coverage) and -efont-biwidth-
(having "better support for bold," though I'm not familiar with
this font family as of yet), and my own preference would be the
-xos4-terminus- fonts, which are available of up to 32 pixels
height, and are thus suitable for higher display resolutions.

... Which led me to suggest [1] separate UXTerm-misc-fixed,
UXTerm-xos4-terminus and UXTerm-efont-biwidth application
defaults' files, corresponding to the -misc-fixed,
-xos4-terminus, and -efont-biwidth arguments to
-xrm *customization:. Practically, this gives me an easy way to
spawn an XTerm configured to use the -misc-fixed- fonts once in
awhile, even though I'm using Terminus for most of the time.

Now, however, should one choose to be able to switch among these
fonts, and /also/ between the monochrome and color versions,
would we need 6 files (from -misc-fixed for monochrome
-misc-fixed- all the way through -efont-biwidth-color)? Which
makes me wonder if that'd be too cumbersome to use and maintain.

Or is there a better way?

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/685329

--
FSF associate member #7257