Xplain: how X11 works - an interesting demo/explanation

RS Wood

Jul 15, 2014, 6:32:58 AM7/15/14
Saw this at HackerNews. This guy explains X11 and if you visit the
webpage using a modern-enough browser there are examples running using
some sort of embedded X11 server. A really interesting demonstration.

https://magcius.github.io/xplain/article/index.html

//--clip
I also really don't want to inject my bias into this too much. While I
do personally believe Wayland is going to become The Linux Display
Server Of The Future®, and that is a good thing, I'm not trying to rip
X apart! My intention here is twofold: I want to explain a lot of the
more undocumented or harder-to-grasp features built into X11 (the
permutations of input grabs, for instance), and I also want to provide
an accurate, historical context on why a certain feature was added
(COMPOSITE, for instance), and all the clever hacks we've invented
along the way (WM_TAKE_FOCUS, for instance). I really want this to be a
resource for somebody looking to learn. If I've inspired anybody out
there to write any code, I've accomplished my goal.
//--clip

--
RS Wood <r...@therandymon.com>