Large scale X

Russell Shaw

May 27, 2009, 2:19:14 AM5/27/09
If i have 1000 user accounts on one accounts server and dozens of X apps on
another apps server, how can a user start an X app when they don't have an
account on the apps server? (no user accounts at all on apps server)

I'm thinking of traditional X where the users use dumb X terminals, and
xdm gives the log-in screen.

Do i need to use nfs, or is there some better way?

Michael Tosch

Jun 3, 2009, 3:12:29 PM6/3/09
Russell Shaw wrote:
> Hi,
> If i have 1000 user accounts on one accounts server and dozens of X apps on
> another apps server, how can a user start an X app when they don't have an
> account on the apps server? (no user accounts at all on apps server)

X-apps run in the user's context.
So all users must be defined where the X-apps run.

> I'm thinking of traditional X where the users use dumb X terminals, and
> xdm gives the log-in screen.

The X-apps run where the xdm runs, and all users must be known there.

> Do i need to use nfs, or is there some better way?

If the "another apps server" holds the app files, then yes, make it
an NFS server, and use the NFS client (i.e. nfs-mount) on your
"accounts server".

--
echo imhcea\.lophc.tcs.hmo |