KDE 3.4.0-6 on Fedora FC4 Hopelessly mangles Text Mode Screen After Second Logoff

1 view

Meron LAVIE

Dec 21, 2005, 4:09:26 PM12/21/05
***Newbie Alert***

I just installed Fedora Core 4 on a PIII/1GHz with 512 RAM and a ATI Radeon
7200 video card. I used the "Install Everything" option and then changed
inittab to start at runlevel 3. I have installed nothing else and have not
touched any configuration files.

The problem is that I can type "startx", go into KDE, and logoff again -
getting a perfectly good text mode screen with which I may continue to work
without any problems. However, if I then type startx again - I can reenter
KDE without any problem, but after logging out the _second_ time, the
previous character text is disrupted, "ckear" doesn't help, and if I press
to many keyes or <ENTER>s, I eventually get incomprehensible reverse color
characters in an assortment of foreign languages. I can type "startx" again
and get a perfectly good KDE session, but the problem repeats itslef upon
logging out from KDE.

I should point out that the same problem occurs with gnome.

I;d appreciate any help.

Cheers,
Lavie

Conrad J. Sabatier

Jan 22, 2006, 2:02:00 AM1/22/06
Meron LAVIE (la...@net2vision.net.il) wrote:

> ***Newbie Alert***
>
> I just installed Fedora Core 4 on a PIII/1GHz with 512 RAM and a ATI
> Radeon 7200 video card. I used the "Install Everything" option and then
> changed inittab to start at runlevel 3. I have installed nothing else and
> have not touched any configuration files.
>
> The problem is that I can type "startx", go into KDE, and logoff again -
> getting a perfectly good text mode screen with which I may continue to
> work without any problems. However, if I then type startx again - I can
> reenter KDE without any problem, but after logging out the _second_ time,

> the previous character text is disrupted, "clear" doesn't help, and if I
> press to many keys or <ENTER>s, I eventually get incomprehensible reverse

> color characters in an assortment of foreign languages. I can type
> "startx" again and get a perfectly good KDE session, but the problem

> repeats itself upon logging out from KDE.

> I should point out that the same problem occurs with gnome.
>
> I;d appreciate any help.

I have no idea what's causing this behavior, but have you tried using "stty
sane" on returning to the text console?

--
Conrad J. Sabatier <con...@cox.net> -- "In Unix veritas"

Tim Wunder

Apr 27, 2006, 4:04:12 PM4/27/06
Meron LAVIE wrote:

> ***Newbie Alert***
>
> I just installed Fedora Core 4 on a PIII/1GHz with 512 RAM and a ATI
> Radeon 7200 video card. I used the "Install Everything" option and then
> changed inittab to start at runlevel 3. I have installed nothing else and
> have not touched any configuration files.

Have you installed any updates at all? I highly recommend you do. FC4 is 9
months old, there are alot of updates available

> The problem is that I can type "startx", go into KDE, and logoff again -
> getting a perfectly good text mode screen with which I may continue to
> work without any problems. However, if I then type startx again - I can
> reenter KDE without any problem, but after logging out the _second_ time,
> the previous character text is disrupted, "ckear" doesn't help, and if I
> press to many keyes or <ENTER>s, I eventually get incomprehensible reverse
> color characters in an assortment of foreign languages. I can type
> "startx" again and get a perfectly good KDE session, but the problem
> repeats itslef upon logging out from KDE.
>
> I should point out that the same problem occurs with gnome.
>
> I;d appreciate any help.

This does not happen on my install of FC4. But it's updated, and I use KDE
3.5.2 as packaged by kde-redhat.sf.net and I don't have a Radeon card (I
have an nVidia, using their latest driver).

After updating to current FC4, you may want to update to the latest video
driver from ATI, too.

Regards,
Tim
--
Fedora Core release 4 (Stentz), Linux 2.6.16-tim
KDE: 3.5.2-1.4, xorg-x11-6.8.2-37.FC4.49.2