Network Interface performance counter instances

Joe Kinsella

Jul 3, 2002, 8:39:02 PM7/3/02
I'm struggling to understand how to use the instance names in the
Network Interface performance object to match up with the
corresponding information for the TCP/IP bindings in the registry
(e.g. ip address, netmask). On Windows NT, the instances are numeric,
and the MS documentation states that the loopback interface is
instance "1". On Windows 2000, the instances are descriptions of the
interface, which oddly enough don't seem to exactly match anything in
the registry, Control Panel, or ipconfig.

I use the below registry key to get the list of cards:
NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkCards

Then use the ServiceName key to follow it to its TCP/IP information
below:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\[ServiceName]\Parameter
s\tcpip\IpAddress

But unfortunately, I can't seem to find a consistent and reliable way
to correlate these for either Windows NT or 2000.

If you have any suggestions or solutions, your help would be
appreciated.

Thanks.

Joe

arkadyf

Jul 4, 2002, 5:17:46 AM7/4/02
Look at IPHLPAPI from Platform SDK .
You can use GetAdaptersInfo() in W2K but that one not supported in
NT , there you can use GetIfTable()/GetIfEntry()
to enum interfaces(adapters).
Arkady

"Joe Kinsella" <jkin...@attbi.com> wrote in message

M. Hoenemann

Jul 4, 2002, 4:51:01 AM7/4/02
Below
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\NetworkCards
you find a subkey for every network card, thats right.Every subkey has a
entry named "SeriveName", where the unique id of the network card is saved.

Below
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{unique
id of network crad} you find the tcp/ip-paraemters of the network card.

But its better to use the functions of iphlpapi.dll, which contain
informations you do not find in the registry, like mac address or max.
transfer speed of the network card.

M. Hoenemann

"Joe Kinsella" <jkin...@attbi.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> [...]

Joe Kinsella

Jul 5, 2002, 9:00:11 AM7/5/02
Arkady,

Thanks for the reply. I looked at IPHLPAPI. It appears as though
these functions require that they be run locally. I didn't make this
clear in my original post, but I need to enumerate the interfaces and
their corresponding performance for a remote server. Any thoughts?

Joe

M. Hoenemann

Jul 5, 2002, 10:28:25 AM7/5/02
If you dont want to programm your own server, look at the sample code of
performnace monitor from the msdn library.
The performance monitor reads performance data from the registry, like
network traffic seperated for every network device. And with the remote
registry service you can query these informations remotely.

"Joe Kinsella" <jkin...@silverbacktech.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

arkadyf

Jul 7, 2002, 12:50:52 PM7/7/02
You can do remote registry search ( the keys ,
M. Hoenemann advised to you ) with RegConnectRegistry() for this in other
host.

Arkady