Very odd problem: WinXP Dell slows to a crawl after 3 hours, even with all apps/processes closed. Free glee, if solved. :::

1 view

Mike Shiva

Mar 12, 2002, 6:56:56 PM3/12/02

Hello! I have a very odd problem. I'm an IT person, and I fix computers,
but this one has me stumped. Solution wanted, Dead or Alive. Egads,
Gadzooks, this problem doesn't make sense. Any suggestions would be most
appreciated.

First off, here's my config:

-Dell Dimension 8200 PIII 1.7 GHz, 128mb RAM -WindowsXP Professional

The problem is that, after a few hours of "idle" time, the computer
suddenly slows to a crawl. It slows down to the extent that it takes 2
entire minutes for the mouse to move 1 pixel, or for a keypress to
register. (always accompanied by a pc-speaker "beep".) It's important to
note that it is NOT FROZEN, it is simply very, very slow.

The computer didn't have this problem until I replaced the chassis/CPU
fan,
but there is evidence that the CPU is NOT overheating. (The timing of
this *might* just be coincidental.):

...I am aware that a P3 CPU shuts itself off if overheated, but I assume
this isn't happening, because there is still SOME activity.
...I replaced the old fan with a new one from Dell, because the old one
was too loud. (a common problem with the 8200's)
...the new fan is working fine - it turns, it is facing the correct way,
etc.
...I touched the CPU heatsink immediately after turning the computer off
(from a normal, working state), and the heatsink was not hot, it was just
warm.

-It happens all the time when the PC has been idle for a few hours, and
it happened only once while I was actually using it. That particular
time, it would work fine for 20 seconds, pause for 20 seconds (with
System Process at 99%), work, pause, etc. I logged out and logged in, it
didn't help. I rebooted, and then it worked.

-I was able to run a process monitor, and it shows that, during this
state, the process "System" is taking up 99.9% of the CPU cycles. Since
this is an OS process, I can't terminate it, nor can I tell why it's
malfunctioning.

-I terminated all apps and processes (except system processes), and the
same thing happened.

-Ran full virus scan, no virus found.

-Nothing has been changed or installed on the PC, except Comcast
High-Speed Internet, and the new chassis/CPU fan. I don't think
the problem lies with the Comcast software, because it happens even when
I terminate those processes (and all others). I also started to use the
pre-installed internal modem around this time, but "Device Manager" shows
no resource conflicts, and the modem is working fine.

-I need to leave my PC on all the time (for remote-access network
reasons)

-I disabled all of the APM, in BIOS and Control Panel.

-Cable modem "Connected to Active USB Port" light remains on, during
slowed-to-a-crawl state.

What could be causing this? I am completely and totally befuddled,
frustrated, irate, irritable, and any of you who provide me with good
advice or suggestions will be the proud recipient of 9 cases of pure
glee, sent Fedex.

Thanks in advance for input.

-Mike

--
*Remove "Spam Be Gone" from my email address, if you want to email me
directly. Thanks.

Sujit D'Mello

Apr 9, 2002, 1:38:33 AM4/9/02
I have seen a similar situation, but nowhere as bad as you describe. In that
case the Modem was not configured correctly (IRQ issue) resulting in RAS
going crazy and literally halting the system every few seconds. After re-
configuring the modem I never had the problem again.

It's a long shot, but worth checking out.

Sujit

Daniel

Apr 13, 2002, 11:32:52 PM4/13/02
A friend of mine had the very same problem I believe. He just removed
winXP and went back to WinME. As I'm sure that is not an option for
you at this time I will tell you what I was going to tell him.
First: We both have cable Internet service from the same ISP.
Second: We both installed WinXP Pro on almost identical systems.
Third: We both have the computers set up on a network with others
through a cable router.
The difference between the installs were that he had xp detect his
network settings, Assign. IP's, DNS, and so on. And I chose to set all
up manually static IP's for all computers on my network.
He had the same problem that you have, and mine has worked fine from
the start.
So what I'm trying to get at is that I believe that you will find that
it does have to do with the network settings for XP itself. I have
only had XP running on my system for about 2 Months so I'm not that
familiar with the way you can set it up as far as network settings.
Look for some way that maybe winXP is (every 2 hrs.)detecting the
network settings and changing them, and that is what could be causing
the problem.
Hope this helps.....
If you find out what the problem is, could you send me an e-mail with
the solution so that I might pass it along to my friend?
Daniel dtoo...@yahoo.com

Vishnu

Apr 16, 2002, 12:01:15 AM4/16/02
I too have a similar problem (WinXP p4 1.7GHz 512MB). Computer turns
to molasses. System process take 50% CPU. Reboot same.

John Tiburzi

May 3, 2002, 12:19:17 PM5/3/02
Here's something else to check...make sure that you don't have any
mapped drives to other computers on your network. XP has a flaw that
will bring your system to a crawl if it can't find the target of the
mapped drive.
Regards,
John

justin stewart

May 8, 2002, 6:23:43 PM5/8/02
> Mike Shiva <icd3SPA...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<Xns91CFC0D4F7564...@64.154.60.171>...
> > Hello! I have a very odd problem. I'm an IT person, and I fix computers,
> > but this one has me stumped. Solution wanted, Dead or Alive. Egads,
> > Gadzooks, this problem doesn't make sense. Any suggestions would be most
> > appreciated.
> >
> > First off, here's my config:
> >
> > -Dell Dimension 8200 PIII 1.7 GHz, 128mb RAM -WindowsXP Professional
> >
> > The problem is that, after a few hours of "idle" time, the computer
> > suddenly slows to a crawl. It slows down to the extent that it takes 2
> > entire minutes for the mouse to move 1 pixel, or for a keypress to
> > register. (always accompanied by a pc-speaker "beep".) It's important to
> > note that it is NOT FROZEN, it is simply very, very slow.
> >
> > The computer didn't have this problem until I replaced the chassis/CPU
> > fan,
> > but there is evidence that the CPU is NOT overheating. (The timing of
> > this *might* just be coincidental.):
SNIP

Well, i would like to correct you, its impossible to have a 1.7 GH3 it
has to be a P4. And if the p4 overheats it slows the system down alot
(50/33/25Mhz) after that the cpu dramatically cools down, so this may
be your problem.

Shane Buchanan

May 22, 2002, 2:00:00 AM5/22/02
justin...@juno.com (justin stewart) wrote in message news:<5f555c38.02050...@posting.google.com>...

Here's a few things to check:

1. Event viewer for starters
2. Run performace monitor and see what the counter indicate when this happens
3. Shut off system restore

When you find it....let us know what it was!