ANN: wxWindows 2.4.1, cross-platform GUI toolkit

1 view

Julian Smart

Jun 13, 2003, 9:40:37 AM6/13/03
Announcing wxWindows 2.4.1: a cross-platform GUI toolkit

June 13th, 2003 -- the wxWindows team is pleased to announce
an official 2.4.1 release of the mature cross-platform C++
application framework.

The following platforms are supported:

- Windows 95/98/ME, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP
- Linux/Unix with GTK+ 1.x and 2.0
- Linux/Unix with X11
- Linux/Unix with Motif/Lesstif
- VMS with GTK+ 1.x
- MacOS 8.6, 9.x and 10.x
- OS/2 (alpha release)

A non-GUI subset of wxWindows called wxBase is also supported
on most of these platforms.

To get wxWindows, go to the Download page at:

http://www.wxwindows.org

This is a bug-fix release. Improvements include
better border and theme handling under Windows XP,
additional XRC resource types, and removal of
some memory leaks.

*** About wxWindows

wxWindows is a comprehensive open-source, multi-platform C++ GUI
framework, that can be used to build commercial and free
software. First released in 1992, it's increasingly used by
organisations and individuals all over the world due to its
winning combination of sophistication, wide platform coverage,
ease of use, unrestrictive licence and vibrant user community.

For most ports, wxWindows adopts the native look and feel of
each platform since it uses the native widget sets. There is also
a generic widget set, used for the wxX11 port - no other widget set
is required, giving the potential for embedded use.

An extraordinary range of classes is provided - but don't be put
off by this because most people find wxWindows easier to learn
and use than MFC and other frameworks.

As well as comprehensive support for the usual widgets, advanced
features include: HTML viewing/printing, wxImage class providing
handlers for eading and writing many image types, resizeable panels
and dialogs on all platforms, document/view, OpenGL support,
HTML-based and context-sensitive help, wizards, drag and drop,
a grid class, ODBC support, threads, sockets, container classes,
a styled text control, and much more. An 1800-page reference manual
is provided in HTML, MS HTML Help, WinHelp, wxWindows Help and PDF
formats, and there are over 70 samples and demos.

If you're an MFC user, you'll find many wxWindows concepts
reassuringly familiar, while often clearer and more consistent.
If you're not, you should still find it intuitive from the start.

wxWindows bindings for several other languages are available,
including Python, Perl, Basic, Lua, JavaScript and Eiffel.

If you're considering wxWindows, do check out some of these links:

http://www.wxwindows.org/feedback.htm ; Comments from users
http://www.wxwindows.org/screensh.htm ; Screenshots
http://www.wxwindows.org/users.htm ; A list of some of our
; users

==> Look out for reviews of wxWindows in the July editions of
Linux Journal and the UK's PC Plus magazine.

Have fun!

The wxWindows team

=====

A small selection of the comments from the Feedback page:

"wxWindows 2.xx has been an absolute dream; putting together a
nice interface has been quite easy, and I'm especially pleased
that I can do most of our development on *nix with confidence
that only minor issues will have to get cleaned up when we build
on Windows."

"I use wxWindows as a GUI Toolkit for Python. Its stability,
flexibility and speed are the base of industrial strength
cross-platform GUI application design with interpreted languages
like Python. Porting is child's play. Thanks for this great
piece of software!"

"Excellent, stable and intuitive API. Very straightforward to
learn and easy to port Java, X11 and Win32 code to."

"Thanks heaps for the best piece of software I've ever come
across (wxWindows)."