Need Codeview (NB09) symbol format specifications

Randal Ziegler

Jul 2, 2002, 1:50:06 PM7/2/02
Hello,

I am looking for the proper specs describing the NB09 Codeview symbolic
information in detail. Specifically I am looking for the specs on the
Codeview
symbol info that is appended to an MSDOS EXE file as generated by
Microsoft
visual C++ 1.52... the old 16 bit stuff.

I need the specs covering NB09 symbol format. For example, How is the
information in the AlignSym subsection intrepreted?

Here are the names of three Legacy Microsoft related documents that
probably
have what I am looking for:

"CV4 Symbolic Debug Information Specification" (this would be good)
"Microsoft C, Developer's Toolkit Reference" (this would be good
too)
"CodeView Symbolic Debug Information 3.1" (not sure)

Its been days since I started looking for this info. All I have found is

the current VC 5.0 debug spec on the MSDN CDs. I have tried MS support
via email but I get no substantial answers.

Thank you all. Anything you send would be helpful. Even info on the
Borland
debug symbol format.

Please respond to this email address if you can. I will repost
information when
it becomes available.

Randy

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Randal Ziegler
Consulting Development Engineer
Quantic Corporation, 6864 Hallmark Drive, Eden Prairie, MN 55346
Email: rzie...@quanticcorp.com

Remember: A diamond is simply a piece
of coal that stuck with the job.
Persistence is everything.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Ben Combee

Jul 20, 2002, 2:15:09 PM7/20/02
In article <3D21E942...@QuanticCorp.com>, rzie...@QuanticCorp.com
says...

> Hello,
>
> I am looking for the proper specs describing the NB09 Codeview symbolic
> information in detail. Specifically I am looking for the specs on the
> Codeview
> symbol info that is appended to an MSDOS EXE file as generated by
> Microsoft
> visual C++ 1.52... the old 16 bit stuff.
>
> I need the specs covering NB09 symbol format. For example, How is the
> information in the AlignSym subsection intrepreted?
>
> Here are the names of three Legacy Microsoft related documents that
> probably
> have what I am looking for:
>
> "CV4 Symbolic Debug Information Specification" (this would be good)
> "Microsoft C, Developer's Toolkit Reference" (this would be good
> too)
> "CodeView Symbolic Debug Information 3.1" (not sure)
>
> Its been days since I started looking for this info. All I have found is
>
> the current VC 5.0 debug spec on the MSDN CDs. I have tried MS support
> via email but I get no substantial answers.

I did a search for this a few years ago... I was only able to find the
CV4 specification on an old copy of the MSDN Library CDs, ones from back
around 1995/1996.

I never saw a CV 3.1 spec -- I didn't look for that, as I didn't need it
for 32-bit compiler development.
--
Ben Combee <bco...@metrowerks.com>
CodeWarrior for Palm OS technical lead