What is a "reserved domain"?

Tom Spence

Mar 14, 2009, 6:31:07 PM3/14/09
I tried to register with Microsoft live. They asked for me email
address which I typed in (x...@verizon.net). They rejected me with the
message 'The portion of your e-mail address that follows the @ symbol is
part of a "reserved domain" such as live.com, hotmail.com or
passport.com. Please type a different e-mail address.'

I have several e-mail addresses but all are on verizon.net. For some
reason Microsoft appears to dislike "verizon.net" because each of my
addresses elicits the same response.

Could anyone enlighten me about what this is all about?

Message has been deleted

ahamp...@gmail.com

Sep 25, 2012, 10:41:54 PM9/25/12
did you ever find out why it said that to you? im trying to create an email acount and it saying that and i cant find it anywhere on the web so i am certain its non exsistent

Deanna Earley

Sep 26, 2012, 5:30:19 AM9/26/12
On 26/09/2012 03:41, ahamp...@gmail.com wrote:
> Did you ever find out why it said that to you?

Given the other examples, they're owned/managed by Microsoft.
Presumably, they are reserved to stop you using anpther live account as
the "backup" for a live account.

Verizon may count the same as they're transitory/ISP controlled addresses.
Maybe they want something more permanent.

--
Deanna Earley (dee.e...@icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems

(Replies direct to my email address will be ignored. Please reply to the
group.)

calltell...@gmail.com

Feb 23, 2014, 7:23:29 PM2/23/14
I can't sign in or sign up under my email calltell...@yahoo.com can you tell me how then to access Microsoft account?
Thank you
Deanna Ntzouras

Deanna Earley

Feb 24, 2014, 4:03:16 AM2/24/14
Sign up to what?
If it's Microsoft Live/Outlook.com then you would be best to ask their
support services.

--
Deanna Earley (dee.e...@icode.co.uk)
iCatcher Development Team
http://www.icode.co.uk/icatcher/

iCode Systems

(Replies direct to my email address will be printed, shredded then fed
to the rats. Please reply to the group.)

stephen...@gmail.com

Jan 21, 2016, 4:37:11 PM1/21/16
Hi.
I keep getting a failed log in, try later for MS, try to re-register but it says my email address is a reserved domain, @Hotmail.co.uk.

I CAN'T LOG ON TO MS TO ASK THEIR SUPPORT SERVICES which is us on forums anyway as they are cheap so tried Googling it.

And NO to anyone suggesting a new email address, had mine for years and just do not intend to change it, why should I.

So does anyone know what a reserved domain is?
Does anyone know why me and apparently others can't get into our MS account?

bradyma...@gmail.com

Feb 29, 2016, 5:32:51 AM2/29/16
Please can you tell me what a reserved domain is I have had my email address for years at live.co.uk but now can't access it and keep getting this message Please advise

zbuc...@gmail.com

Dec 17, 2017, 3:50:12 AM12/17/17
Bradyma's question:
On Monday, February 29, 2016 at 2:32:51 AM UTC-8, bradyma...@gmail.com wrote:
Please can you tell me what a reserved domain is I have had my email address for years at live.co.uk but now can't access it and keep getting this message Please advise

Bradyma, your live.co.uk account is a reserved domain because it is also being used for other email accounts such as hotmail.com. The part of these email addresses is the part that follows the @ which makes them a part of the reserved domain. Actually Live is the main domain which is reserved so that other domains may be added to it at its' discretion.
I hope things aren't quite as muddy now.

priyank...@gmail.com

Jun 8, 2020, 10:09:47 AM6/8/20
Hi...I wanta favor from u all my account has been not opened..it's showing doesn't exist...plz help me out how can get it again.plz