AIX versus SUN and Linux, best price performance ?

Louis

Jun 11, 2003, 9:07:48 AM6/11/03

We have a IBM RS6000 F50 running AIX 4.3.3 with 3 CPU's and 9 mirrored disks
and 1.5 GB internal memory. DBMS Basis 9.1 runs on it. This database can be
compared with Oracle regarding performance. However it's not
multi-threading.

We are thinking of upgrading hardware. The F50 cannot handle the job
anymore. The Basis DBMS runs on AIX, Linux and SUN. Our database will be
around 60 GB and should be spreaded on multiple disks (at least 4). In total
we need at least 10 disks (20-40 GB). We need 2-4 GB memory.

The solution should be cheap but also reliable. So, we prefer cheap memory
and cheap (instead of expensive IBM SSA disks) SCSI or even IDE disks.

Please advise.

Regards,

Louis Banens

John Smith

Jun 11, 2003, 5:51:30 PM6/11/03

"Louis" <nos...@nospam.nl> schreef in bericht

Ga voor linux met een nas van network appliance, neem dan wel Gb netwerk
voor je nas.

Dave Smith

Jun 17, 2003, 11:16:35 PM6/17/03
Hate to tell you but an F50 will only run on 1, 2 or 4 CPU's. No such
this as 3 CPU's

Dave

Louis

Jun 18, 2003, 4:28:01 AM6/18/03
Dave,

Well, I know for sure that we have 3 CPU's on 2 boards. And it runs. See
output of lsc command below,

architecture PowerPC Processor architecture
implementation PowerPC_604 Processor Implementation
version PowerPC_604 Processor version
clock_speed 330.9 CPU clock speed in MHz (approximation)
width 32 Processor width (bits)
ncpus 3 Number of CPUs
realmem 2097152 Amount of usable real memory (Kilobytes)
cache_attrib 1 Split instruction and data cache
icache_size 32 L1 instruction cache size (Kilobytes)
icache_asc 4 L1 instruction cache Associativity
icache_block 32 L1 instruction cache block size (bytes)
icache_line 32 L1 instruction cache line size (bytes)
dcache_size 32 L1 data cache size (Kilobytes)
dcache_asc 4 L1 data cache Associativity
dcache_block 32 L1 data cache block size (bytes)
dcache_line 32 L1 data cache line size (bytes)
L2_cache_size 256 L2 cache size (Kilobytes)
L2_cache_asc 1 L2 cache associativity
tlb_attrib 1 Split instruction and data TLB
itlb_size 128 Instruction TLB size (entries)
itlb_asc 2 Instruction TLB associativity
dtlb_size 128 Data TLB size (entries)
dtlb_asc 2 Data TLB associativity
resv_size 32 Size of reservation (bytes)
priv_lck_cnt 0 Spin lock count in supervisor mode
prob_lck_cnt 0 Spin lock count in problem state
rtc_type RTC_POWER_PC RTC type
virt_alias 0 Hardware aliasing not supported
cach_cong 0 Number of page bits for cache synonym
Xint 312500 Used in time base conversion
Xfrac 12969 Used in time base conversion

Regards,

Louis Banens

"Dave Smith" <dave...@hotmail.com> wrote in message