How can I measure the network load ?

Nicolas HUYNH

Nov 18, 2003, 11:00:53 AM11/18/03
Hi

I am looking for a tool allowing to get periodically
the network load of some machines on a local area network
(Linux and Solaris 8), and the amount of information
between clients and servers of my distributed application.

The aim is to gather enough information to optimize
the distribution of my processes over the network,
to know which clients/servers are the most bandwith
consuming in runtime conditons, and so on ...

I tried netstat, but this does not give me full
satisfaction, and the result is different on Linux
and Solaris.

Thanks for any advice !

Nicolas

Klaus Grote

Nov 19, 2003, 2:20:11 AM11/19/03
Nicolas HUYNH <hu...@ath.cena.fr> wrote in message news:<3FBA4235...@ath.cena.fr>...

Try ntop, the tool is open source.
http://www.ntop.org

CU
Klaus Grote

Jean-Pierre Denis

Nov 19, 2003, 6:30:15 AM11/19/03

Klaus Grote wrote:

iptraf can also do the job !

Thanks,
JP

Nicolas HUYNH

Nov 19, 2003, 10:41:38 AM11/19/03
Klaus Grote wrote:

> Try ntop, the tool is open source.
> http://www.ntop.org

Hi,

Many thanks !
I had a glance at www.ntop.org, it does just what I need.

Unfortunately, the network administrator told me
that only root can run it - and I am not root !!! :-(

I guess it is the same with iptraf or many other
tools, isn't it ?

So I look for a network monitor that I can use
with "limited" rights

N.

Message has been deleted

norm

Nov 25, 2003, 2:09:37 AM11/25/03
Nicolas HUYNH <hu...@ath.cena.fr> wrote in message news:<3FBA4235...@ath.cena.fr>...

For Solaris, look at http://www.sunperf.com/perfmontools.html

For Linux, I am working on a port currently. These tools do not
require root, so no security problems.

http://www.sunperf.com/images/linux.screen_dump.png

Norm.

p...@icke-reklam.ipsec.nu

Nov 25, 2003, 2:57:34 PM11/25/03

> http://www.sunperf.com/images/linux.screen_dump.png

> Norm.

For solaris linux cisco and every other device that speaks SNMP
see mrtg "http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/"

Will generate historical graphs too, viewable on any html capable
device ( yes, you heard right, and in addition it sort of
works even with IE )

--
Peter Håkanson

Peter C. Tribble

Nov 26, 2003, 4:45:41 AM11/26/03
In article <3FBB8F32...@ath.cena.fr>,

Nicolas HUYNH <hu...@ath.cena.fr> writes:
> So I look for a network monitor that I can use
> with "limited" rights

For solaris, try the perl script on

http://www.hgmp.mrc.ac.uk/~ptribble/netio/

(which you could write yourself from kstat, or you might be able to
simply run kstat with the right arguments and parse the output).

--
-Peter Tribble
HGMP Computing Services

norm

Nov 26, 2003, 7:21:42 PM11/26/03
p...@icke-reklam.ipsec.nu wrote in message news:<bq0c7e$2gnm$4...@nyheter.ipsec.se>...

There are significant security risks in running snmp. You may
also be aware that oracle sells database software?

http://www.postgres.org
http://www.mysql.org

http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/528719

You might want to note that Cisco is listed as vulnerable.
(you brought up Cisco, so I mention it.) There were also
worms which targeted Solaris SNMP.

While I am sure that it has been fixed, what other problems
are lurking? I would not run SNMP on a network connected to
the Internet. Despite that, it seems like a lovely tool,
but no CPU load, Disk IO, or VM statitics did I see. I suppose
you will now tell me about virtual adrian. My tool uses
less CPU resources than tools like SE toolkit, or top.

I am working on having it generate images, for web browsers as
well. Something like this:

http://www.sunperf.com/images/ce0.7.obytes.png

Thanks for the link.

Norm.

p...@icke-reklam.ipsec.nu

Nov 27, 2003, 4:01:08 PM11/27/03

The context was "local lan", where security risks _should_
be of less concern. And even if security is a concern
ipfilter & iptables will allow snmp to be guarded agains
most hazards.

> http://www.postgres.org
> http://www.mysql.org

Who's been talking about databases ? Are you replying on the
wriong article ?

> http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/528719

> You might want to note that Cisco is listed as vulnerable.
> (you brought up Cisco, so I mention it.) There were also
> worms which targeted Solaris SNMP.

Again, you are off-topic. We are discussing ways of
measuring and presenting network load. The day we discuss
security we might call you.

> While I am sure that it has been fixed, what other problems
> are lurking? I would not run SNMP on a network connected to
> the Internet. Despite that, it seems like a lovely tool,
> but no CPU load, Disk IO, or VM statitics did I see. I suppose
> you will now tell me about virtual adrian. My tool uses
> less CPU resources than tools like SE toolkit, or top.

Ahh, you are _advertizing_ ... Bzzzt wrong forum get away!