HP Laserjet 4

Gary Welzenbach

Feb 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/26/97

HP Laserjet 4 Help!!! 02/23/97

I am working on a Xenix PC 386 and want to connect it to a
HP Laserjet 4 printer thru the parallel port. A serial port
cannot be used because I am presently using 8 of them with a
multi port card.

My problem is that it prints but doesn't do a carriage return,
just a line feed. Now I have tried to use a interface program with
onlcr which should give a CR for every LF but no matter what I try
it either isn't reading the interface program or is ignoring it(I tried
a few). I also tried answering yes at the prompt for mkdev lp when it asks
if
the printer needs special handleing but then it changes the LF for a
CR and prints on the same line over and over again.

Does anyone have any clues it this problem? The computer is a 386 25
with a math co processor and 4 megs of ram and a 170 meg harddrive
running Xenix 2.3.4 and it is used as a DNC server transfering
programs to CNC machines in a machine shop.
Thanks in Advance
Gary Welzenbach

Quote:Those who row the boat seldom have time to rock it.

hpmsi

Feb 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/26/97
to Gary Welzenbach
Gary,

Try the following - it works for me.

Add the following stty line to your /etc/rc file (older Xenix
releases) or /etc/rc.d/8/userdef (newer Xenix releases);

(stty onlcr; while :; do sleep 3600; done)</dev/lp0

Change the /dev/lp0 to whatever parallel port device your
printer is attached to. Once the system boot and this stty
command begins executing every LF sent to the port should be
converte to CRLF.

Hope this helps, Scott

Jim

Feb 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/27/97

wa...@dmv.come (Gary Welzenbach) wrote:

>HP Laserjet 4 Help!!! 02/23/97

>My problem is that it prints but doesn't do a carriage return,

>just a line feed. Now I have tried to use a interface program with
>onlcr which should give a CR for every LF but no matter what I try
>it either isn't reading the interface program or is ignoring it(I tried
>a few). I also tried answering yes at the prompt for mkdev lp when it asks

When you say "interface program" do you mean you have edited the file

/usr/spool/lp/interface/your_laserjet

to change the stty line to add onlcr?

It's just that if you are adding the onlcr onto the end of your
application package printer driver then maybe it's being overruled by
the above file.

Jim.